Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
how to start making my own knifes? >

how to start making my own knifes?

Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

how to start making my own knifes?

Old 12-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Spike

Default how to start making my own knifes?

I have been wanting to make a few knifes on my free time and was wondering how to go about it? where to start? any good website out there?
Old 12-04-2010, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Making your own blades is usually out of the question for most of us, due to not having the hundreds needed to buy all the grinders and belt sanders, heat treating equipment etc. so what I would suggest is go to Atlanta Cutlery, have them send a catalog. They have two full pages of blade blanks to choose from that are already polished and tempered and you would make and install the guards, handle materials and pommels along with making the sheath. I have made maybe a dozen knives this way using just a small bench grinder and an inexpensive belt sander that was powered by my electric drill motor. I've sold most of them, but totally enjoyed making them and who knows, you might get good enough to get into it on a larger scale--it's a fun hobby and you can use what you make , enjoy----John
Old 12-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Spike

We forge quite a few blades. It does not take alot of equipment to get started either. A forge and anvil is all that is needed to form the blades. Most of ours are forged out of coil springs. They are high carbon steel and easy to reharden. A small bench grinder is handy, but any grinder wil work such as an angle grinder. Heat treating and tempering blades requires very little tools. A bucket of oil and a toaster oven will do. A belt sander is also helpful but the blades can be sanded by hand if you do not have a belt sander. Other than that, handle material, guard material and a set of files is about all that is needed.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Spike

you can make a knife from an old hockey skate blade...use a cheap grinder and a file..it makes a nice knife. takes some time..but cheap
Old 12-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Spike

thank you all for the help.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jhilde
Making your own blades is usually out of the question for most of us, due to not having the hundreds needed to buy all the grinders and belt sanders, heat treating equipment etc. so what I would suggest is go to Atlanta Cutlery, have them send a catalog. They have two full pages of blade blanks to choose from that are already polished and tempered and you would make and install the guards, handle materials and pommels along with making the sheath. I have made maybe a dozen knives this way using just a small bench grinder and an inexpensive belt sander that was powered by my electric drill motor. I've sold most of them, but totally enjoyed making them and who knows, you might get good enough to get into it on a larger scale--it's a fun hobby and you can use what you make , enjoy----John
I dont think its right to discourage someone. I'm far from rich and I've made a knife or two. I didnt have the equiptment that gerber has but me and my father spent many hours out in the garage grinding and sanding. Some of my fondest memorys. I didnt have a plasma cutter to cut out my blanks but some one I knew did have. Go for it is what I say. It depends on what kinda knife you want as to what materials and tools you will need.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

I used a stag handle. A piece of brass for the gaurd and made the blade out of an old buzz saw blade. Didnt heat treat anything. When working the blade, grind a little at a time. So you wont blue the steel by getting it to hot. If its a rusty blank you are starting with start with 80 grt sand paper and work your way up until the finish you want is aquired. A coffee can of water is handy when workin the brass, it retains heat . Grind a little then quench it. Its not the blade so temper dont matter. One other thing, When its complete a little mothers wheel polishing compound will shine it up nice. It will actually keep shining till you have a mirror finish if you do it long enough and will not scratch the surface.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

I have alot of fun making up knives from blades I buy. I get most of them from Texas Knife Works or Jantz. Both sell quality blades and suppliies, although I frequently use my own wood scraps or antler for grips. You can make a high quality knife for a very reasonable price. It makes me very happy that my friends and family enjoy getting one of my knifes for a gift. There is alot of online knife making information. My only recommendation is that any blades I got off of ebay had very poor edges and grind to them and needed professional finishing. When it comes to tools, if you start with a finished blade you probably have most everything you need. Varying grits of sandpaper, an assortment of files, drills (for the handle matereal. You wont be able to drill the blades) a dremel tool is very helpful, but not essential.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Spike

ok thank you for your help. i been looking around at info and stuff and its somthing i think i will enjoy doing.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:36 AM
NWA
Spike

I'm a part time custom knife maker www.nwaknives.com

Take a look at www.bladeforums.com

There is a bunch of info on that site as well as my maker forum

I started with a 8" bench grinder but have worked with metal ever since I was 14 yrs old. So it just comes naturally to me. There is nothing more rewarding than making your own knife and taking game from field to freezer with that knife. I will warn you though, it is very addictive. I am constantly drawing knives for new ideas but finding the time to make all of them is a different story. Don't be afraid to give it a try, old files make great knives too. I also sell tool steels for knife making at my real job. We sell O-1 A-2 and D-2 precision ground steel.

As for stock removal made knives a portable bandsaw works very well for cutting out the blade. Or a 4" angle grinder, which can also be used to put the bevels on the steel as well. Heat treat can be done with a oxy acetelene torch or a simple on brick forge and a propane torch.

Feel free to e mail me any questions you may have.

[email protected]

Good luck and enjoy
Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.