Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Favorite Brand of Knife?? >

Favorite Brand of Knife??

Community
Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Favorite Brand of Knife??

Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Kosherboy
Schrade , Made in the US.
Lost mine in 2007 and found it in 2009 , no differnce no rust, just the bronce around the handle with a patina as expected, still sharp.
The Ones made in ***an now , I don't know much about them, but if you find one made in the USA buy it.

I will second a USA made Schrade. Look for the USA marking for a high carbon steel blade not the later USA+ stainless steel blade
Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Kosherboy
Schrade , Made in the US.
Lost mine in 2007 and found it in 2009 , no differnce no rust, just the bronce around the handle with a patina as expected, still sharp.
The Ones made in ***an now , I don't know much about them, but if you find one made in the USA buy it.
Schrade, Uncle Henry, Camillus, these brands of "Sharpfinger" knives are really hard to beat, the made is USA are getting hard to find, even used bring a pretty good price. with a little practice the blade becomes an extension of your finger, makes the "Dressing" out process much cleaner. I am not saying it is the ONLY knife, but it is one of the better ones. As to the USA High carbon vs USA+ stainless, I have found no difference, both are made in the USA & great knives, I carry one of each in my pac. I believe the USA + is a "Uncle Henry" (jmop) Doc

Last edited by DocD; 10-13-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by romat
I skin and quarter around 50 hogs a year. Have tried many knives, my favorite is an OLD Buck 102. Walmart Gerber, new Bucks, New Case, and a few foriegn-made ones, they just don't hold an edge quite like the OLD Buck knives.
I love my Buck 102 - belonged to my grandpa and was probably 30-40 years old when I started using it. I've used it for deer hunting primarily and wouldn't want to trade it in for anything else.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Benchmade, cold steel, and the high end Italian made Brownings.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Spike

Well, now that Benchmade has come out with this:

I think I can keep my entire stable of knives -- hunting knife included -- in the Benchmade fold! It's available at knifeworks.com. Be sure to use the discount code.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

Cutco hunter
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Spike

Man I hate to say this. I hate that is has come to this.

I have always been a Buck, Moore Maker and Case guy.
I guide a lot of hunts and meet a lot of great people. It's interesting what different people from different parts of the country carry or use during a hunt. On a sheep hunt years ago a man asked me to try his "new" knife. So I did. It was some cock eyed looking folding scalpel thingy....
After the hunt, three sheep later he gave the knife to me. To date I am on my sixth Havalon Piranta. Not because they wear out but because people have begged me out of them. Light, tough, handy as hell and great value. You can clean at least three elk without need for a new blade. They're fast and sharp. They don't and can't replace the feeling of good steel, but they do their job and do it well.

Call Paul Schwartz at Havalon.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

My favorites are Gerber and case...
Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Case is my first choice followed by a American made Buck.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.