Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Scalpels?

Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

I used a Havalon for the first time on my latest deer. Worked pretty good on the gutting/skinning part. One thing I don't like about them is the mechanism that holds the blade in place gets all gummied up with blood and guts and makes it hard to clean. But I suppose you're supposed to replace the blade each and every time (which would help with the cleaning part).
Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Havalon and used it to clean a javelina and it did the whole thing just fine. And I used it this last time I went duck hunting to debreast them it cleaned 14 to 15 birds smoothly, and then was used in the kitchen by my mom because it beats all of her knives. And the same blade I used this last time will be used again when I go duck and hopefully crane hunting this weekend. If you cut through the sternum though when cleaning the blade is to flimsy and there is a good chance of breaking the blade.