Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Scalpels?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scalpels?

Anyone use scalpels as their skinning knife?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Spike

Scalpels are too small,thin and don't hold an edge very well.Dave
Old 07-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

I use a scalpel to cape out my deer or whatever it is I decide to get mounted. I use scalpels all day long at the taxidermy shop and a scalpel will hold an edge as long as my Schrade skinner and I am faster with the smaller blade. But to field dress a deer the Schrade is my go to blade because the scalpel gets gunked up faster with the belly fat and hair.

The reason I still use my Schrade is because I have used it for many, many years. The handle is worn smooth and grooved from my fingers but it still holds a super sharp edge.

Your Knives are nice looking Dave. Curious, what would the 7" Friction Folder Damascus knife #3223 cost? You could send me a PM.

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 07-07-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:12 AM
Spike

My experience in using a scapel was doing leatherwork and it's tough on blades.Dave

4evrhtn-pm sent
Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Havalon makes good knives that use a scaple blade.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
I use a scalpel to cape out my deer or whatever it is I decide to get mounted. I use scalpels all day long at the taxidermy shop and a scalpel will hold an edge as long as my Schrade skinner and I am faster with the smaller blade. But to field dress a deer the Schrade is my go to blade because the scalpel gets gunked up faster with the belly fat and hair.

The reason I still use my Schrade is because I have used it for many, many years. The handle is worn smooth and grooved from my fingers but it still holds a super sharp edge.

Your Knives are nice looking Dave. Curious, what would the 7" Friction Folder Damascus knife #3223 cost? You could send me a PM.
Where did you get your scalpels? Whats the brand name?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Spike

Allot of people use regular hunting knives for skinning. When i killed my elk this year, my buddy laughed at me when i pulled my knife out. He grabbed a new knife he started using this year, havalon knives, and started hacking away at my elk. It was unbelievable how sharp the blade stayed and that if it got dull, he carried replacement blades in his pack. They worked like razor blades, and one blade did (skinned and deboned) my whole elk and skinned the skull.

This is why we started carrying them, it might not be something you are interested in but they are fair priced, blades are cheap for as long as they can be used and it is really nice not to be able to not have to spend a whole night sharpening it. Needless to say, i replaced my heavy knife with one of the new lightweight havalon.

__________________________________________________ ____
http://www.bugsnbullets.com/Havalon_...g_mid_102.html
Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Spike

I bought a scalpel handle for 8 bucks and 100 blades for like 13 bucks on amazon.

I am very interested to see how they perform. I will definitely update you guys on how they perform.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default scalpals....

use them exclusively for cutting off the "silverskin,suet, cauls," whatever you decide to call the slick white membrane that covers the meat before I package it for the freezer. I make the cut of meat I want, then put it in the freezer for about an hour, or until the suet freezes and then I shave it off. I've taken deer to a processor that didn't do it before, and never again. Tastes great, but time consuming. Worth it for me and my family!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scalpel, no

I have used them on cysts, though.

One time showing off, after forgetting a skinning knife, I skinned a deer with a pocket knife. Bout as small as I got.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.