Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
What's your favorite features >

What's your favorite features

Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

What's your favorite features

Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Spike

Default What's your favorite features

Glad to see a new knife forum here.I thought a good discussion would be what you like in a hunting knife.Is it actually used as a hunting knife and used to dispatch the animal, or do you use it for dressing or just camp chores? Dave
Old 07-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DC KNIVES
Glad to see a new knife forum here.I thought a good discussion would be what you like in a hunting knife.Is it actually used as a hunting knife and used to dispatch the animal, or do you use it for dressing or just camp chores? Dave
I think the perfect hunting knife features are... a leather sheath the has a pocket for a sharpening stone,folding knife, guthook, good grip rubber handle wraped in paracord. A drop point blade made out S30v steel with a saw on the back of the blade And I would like the whole knife to measure in at 6 inches. Thats the ultimate outdoors men knife.

If you ever make a knife like this... I will be first in line.

Last edited by genesis27:3; 07-05-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

So what are you gonna do with that knife rambo? If its gonna be wrapped in parachord why does it need a rubber handle and how is it gonna still fold? He asked what you wanted in a huntin knife not a survival knife. I dont know about you but Im not gonna saw or hack at limbs with my hunting knife. A good simple fixed blade knife 3 to maybe 4 inches long. Not really a fan of the drop point. about the same countour as a good old buck 110. Never used a gut hook so thats not really needed. And still needs to be sturdy enough to go through brisket bones. A good bone handle would round it out perfect but not really needed. Keep it sharp and keep it simple.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Spike

First,I didn't start this thread to get customers.My intent was to see what you folks like in a knife and how it's used.
That said, after 50 years of using knives and 20 of making them, I know what I like to use.
I am not a fan of sawbacks, guthooks, rubber, paracord, folders (unless as a backup),or S30V.I also think 6" oal is a tad small to be an effective tool.
I am a fan of Carbon steel fixed blade knives,3"-5" blade length depending on usage, 9"-10" for one used for actual hunting or bigger camp chores.I also like natural handle materials.Dave
Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Red face

Originally Posted by DC KNIVES
First,I didn't start this thread to get customers.My intent was to see what you folks like in a knife and how it's used.
That said, after 50 years of using knives and 20 of making them, I know what I like to use.
I am not a fan of sawbacks, guthooks, rubber, paracord, folders (unless as a backup),or S30V.I also think 6" oal is a tad small to be an effective tool.
I am a fan of Carbon steel fixed blade knives,3"-5" blade length depending on usage, 9"-10" for one used for actual hunting or bigger camp chores.I also like natural handle materials.Dave
Your entitled to your own opinion...... But how do you not like S30v steel? Its the best steel for a knife! That kinda tells me you dont take pride in the steel you use. No guthook? Guthooks make the dispatching of a deer 3x faster! What do you mean by natural handel? Wood? Wood rots and splinters I defiantly prefer a rubber or steel handel, those are the knives that will last forever. I like folding because you can just stick it in your pocket or throw it in your pack and dont have to worry about a sheath. Plus you can take folding knife with you anywhere and everywhere, unlike a 9-10'' fixed blade you can take it into public places. The sawback and paracord I can do without but I think those give a knife a cool-tough look-feel to them.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Spike

Lol, yep Rambo.First you need to study some metallurgy about the different alloys.I didn't say S30V wasn't a good steel, just that I don't prefer it over carbon steels.S30V is hardly the "Best" knife steel because truly there is no best for all types of knives and conditions.Most production companies have their own mix of alloys, and most custom makers use alot of different steels.Each type of steel has its own pro's and con's.I have found like many custom makers that steels like O-1 will hold an edge as good as if not better than most hi-grade stainless blades and be easier to sharpen in the field.The down side to carbon steels is that they must be maintained or they will rust, so if your the type to put your knife away after the season and don't ever use it till the next season, get a stainless blade.My knives get used and carried daily.
I still think guthooks and sawbacks are useless gimics,and don't know any pro hunters and guides that use them.There may be a few but I have never met one.
Natural handle materials mean wood, antlers,horn, bone etc.,and again I have to disagree.I still have some of the first knives I made and still carry one of them after 20 years.I have seen many knives from the 1800's still in great condition.
As to your last comments, I will agree folders are easier to carry most places but I live in a state where carry is not an issue and carry a fixed blade daily.
Dave
Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Wink

I disagree with all the above.

You dont know why guides carry a knife with a guthook? Seriously? Or is that a joke?

But like I said earlier...... ''your entitled to your own opinion".

Sincerley..
Rambo
Old 07-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Hey dc just remember hes gotta be like 12 years old anyway and fascinated with a gi joe knife. A 6 inch long folding knife means at most what 2.5 inches of blade with a sawback and a gut hook. What are you gonna do with a 1 inch saw, cut toothpicks? Post 1 says he wants a nice leather sheath with stone and post 2 says he wants a folder because it dont need a sheath. And why would I need a gut hook when I havent gutted anything Ive killed in several years. Chances are if youre packin it out you wont be gutting it either. Seriously though DC what are you charging for something like what you have pictured in your avatar?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Short knives

Only a newbie needs a long knife to gut a deer, clean some fish, cut up a peach and do most cutting.

For spliting up a deer in half for butchering, I use a hack saw.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Spike

I like easy to sharpen (S30V Ain't that) and I like comfort and usability. My favorite knife steel is 0-1 high carbon as it hold a great edge and can be sharpened to hair popping sharp in less than 2 min it you do not let the edge get dull to the point of being visibly dull. You can bring 0-1 back to sharp my stropping on the leather sheath itself or the back of a leather boot if needed.

If I'm going for more a stainless knife I prefer D2 currently because it is very stain resistant and holds tool steel qualities.

I don't like gut hooks but that's just me

I prefer 3" to max 4" for skinners and general utilities in a simple drop point. I like flat ground geometry in a blade and a good thickness or thinness depending on the task intended for the knife. Don't try and say I want a good slicer and chopper dual design from 1/4" stock but then I also want it to be a filet knife. Not a logical combination of needs intended with desire from buyer.

Anyway. My personal feature is being able to bring the edge back in the field with simple sharpening devices. For me 0-1 is king in this area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.