HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Blades (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blades-116/)
-   -   What’s Your Favorite Hunting Knife? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blades/323760-what-s-your-favorite-hunting-knife.html)

jrbsr 05-25-2010 11:21 AM

What’s Your Favorite Hunting Knife?

Whats your favorite hunting knife?

Brand?

Style?

Type?

Fixed blade, or Folding?

Lock blade, or non locking blade?

Thank You.

SWThomas 05-25-2010 07:33 PM

When hunting I like to take either my SOG Seal Team fixed blade or my SOG Trident Folder. When skinning game I use either my Remington Fixed Blade with a gut-hook or the fixed blade gut-hook knife that came with my Outdoor Edge Game Processing Kit.

VAhuntr 05-26-2010 04:00 AM

For me a Buck 110 folder has been used the most. I use a Helle Fjellkniven when I want a fixed blade.

Camosteel 05-27-2010 08:03 AM

Kershaw fixed blade nonserated w/ gut hook. Rubber handle. About 19 years old, bought it off a Snap-On Tools truck when I used to work at a garage. Holds an edge very well.

stags pad 05-27-2010 02:55 PM

fav huntin knife

i have 2 i carry in the hills one is my custom steve wheeler fixed blade and the other is my kershaw blur folder

bigcountry 05-28-2010 12:14 PM

I have dozens over the years, and love that cheap little buck vanguard with gut hook. Second would have to be the buck folder

HNI_Christine 05-28-2010 04:41 PM

I'm partial to Al Mar knives but they quit making the 'sportsman' model which was my favorite folding hunting knife.

I've gutted deer with everything from a single muzzy broadhead blade to my fixed blade buck knife. (one with the clip point and the black handle, 4" blade) My Al Mar had a great drop point for gutting and it held an edge really well. It was also very light and thin in the handle so it was very unobtrusive. Sadly, it has disappeared.

Now I carry that clip point buck knife as my 'hunting knife'. I've had that knife since I was a little kid. (which was a looong time ago) It's a crummy gutting knife, but as long as it's sharp and cutty it will do. Sort of sentimental too.

I also carry a dinky Gerber paraframe around. Mostly because it's small... and cheap. For a small, cheap knife it does well. I've had a couple of other real cheapo folders that would unfold whilst in my pocket. That's not cool at all.

heinz57 05-31-2010 02:49 PM

i have BUCK and BROWNING knives both are useless for cutting up moose ,both are stainless and not enough carbon steel , very low ROCKWELL in other words do not stay sharp ..i have an old hunting knife 4.5" blade [solingen made in germany] that is at least as old as me [66] and it stays sharp long enough to complete the job ..oh yes it is not perfect it will rust very easy if not taken care of [high ROCKWELL] so no more stainless steel for me ...but use whatever u feel is appropriate ..

http://www.worldknives.com/products/...o155-2215.html

CoralPirate 06-10-2010 09:39 AM

Green handle folding Cadet Junior 3" blade. Takes and keeps an edge better than any knife I've owned. Got it in Germany 30 years ago. I would get another but can't find em anymore.

Doefever 06-10-2010 07:58 PM

I just bought a kershaw. I'm amazed at how sharp it is.

heinz57 06-11-2010 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Doefever (Post 3635113)
I just bought a kershaw. I'm amazed at how sharp it is.

they are all sharp when new !!!! but what is importen will it stay sharp ??????

bigcountry 06-11-2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by heinz57 (Post 3635139)
they are all sharp when new !!!! but what is importen will it stay sharp ??????

Well duh, of course. We all know this.

DeerandbearhoG 06-11-2010 01:43 PM

Peter Fiducia, of woods and water TV show fame, game me a cheap chi-com, buck knock off, at a seminar, a few years ago. Ive butchered about 12 deer w/ that thing, and its still sharp as heck. Ive also got a 10$ china made, cold steel knife for field dressing that works great. Cheap knives can be pretty good qualityl sometimes.

Ruddyduck 06-24-2010 03:58 AM

Happily I don't have to just settle for one knife. When hunting and game doesn't have to be boned or quartered I prefer my Gerber fixed blade drop point knife and for when b&q is called for I've a Cabela's Alaskan triple combo set. Small game and trout is a Frontier 3 blade stockman style pocket and for fishing saltwater and large fresh a fixed blade Rapala that is very flexable and a fixed Blade Gerber Coho.

jdhogg 07-03-2010 07:21 PM

iron mountain knives.never leave home without it

needs_recoil 07-05-2010 11:58 AM

my buck 110 goes on every hunt I do. But so does my buck 119. My little brother gave me that 119 a dozen or so years ago. He told me it was a lucky knife when he gave it to me. Ive had it on my belt for every hunt since then and have honestly filled every tag I have had since then. It does an awesome job of removing brisket and holds an amazing edge.

genesis27:3 07-05-2010 12:51 PM

A good ol scalpel gets the job done well for me.

KsTurkeyDeer24 07-08-2010 07:35 AM

Browning. Inter changeable blade. Extremely sharp and excellent for gutting deer. Buck knifes are pretty awesome too.

Chuck7 07-24-2010 02:41 PM

Buck 110

CamoCop 07-31-2010 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck7 (Post 3652182)
Buck 110

what he said

Jeff Ovington 08-02-2010 06:57 PM

Fallkniven are my new favorite.Like them so much it's what I purchase my nephews and nieces for their first knife.I Personally use An Old Timer Schrade myself cause it was given to me by my uncle.I also never leave home with an L2 Olpha snap off knife and a container of spare Olpha blades.These have can come in really handy when my partner and I just dumped a pair of bull moose and have a full afternoon of gutting and skinning and not much time to sharpen in between.I love these blades.

m9a9g9i9c 08-02-2010 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington (Post 3657289)
Fallkniven are my new favorite.Like them so much it's what I purchase my nephews and nieces for their first knife.I Personally use An Old Timer Schrade myself cause it was given to me by my uncle.I also never leave home with an L2 Olpha snap off knife and a container of spare Olpha blades.These have can come in really handy when my partner and I just dumped a pair of bull moose and have a full afternoon of gutting and skinning and not much time to sharpen in between.I love these blades.

fallkniven are great knives, this is mine;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q1puDwz1vg

jphardin 08-03-2010 11:23 AM

Hardin Steel knives

ok.... I may be biased, but they have always done well for me. :s3:

RedneckAsian 09-09-2010 04:12 PM

Buck Special 119 Fixed Blade. Always.

PokealypseNow 09-13-2010 03:21 PM

Whenever I'm headed out to the boondocks, I make sure I've got my Leatherman Wave and my KA-BAR Becker BK2 Campanion with me. That knife's a damn tank for sure; very impressed by it.

Minor3006 08-17-2011 09:13 PM

I've had my buck 119 since I started hunting and will always use it.

BikerRN 09-02-2011 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by jrbsr (Post 3630255)
Whats your favorite hunting knife?

Brand?

Eric Fritz

Style?

Hunter

Type?

Damascus

Fixed blade, or Folding?

Fixed

Lock blade, or non locking blade?

N/A

Thank You.

You're welcome.

Jenks 11-02-2011 09:44 AM

I have a weakness for a Buck 110, I carry an old one in my pocket everywhere. I have a Frost copy that is not as heavy for Sundays.

DROX 11-02-2011 12:48 PM

Lakota Hawk, fixed blade, about 25 years old!

Muley Hunter 11-25-2011 08:37 AM

Been using the same Buck 110 since 1982. It still gets the job done.

Hawg7 02-01-2012 05:53 PM

I'm partial to my own - I just know how they're made and they stay sharp...I guess most guys would like their own but I enjoy carrying a good looking knife that feels good and cuts even better!

8mm/06 02-10-2012 07:08 AM

I have an old Browning (***anese made but very good steel) that is a folding knife with 3 blades. One plain clip point that locks, then a very good medium tooth saw blade (does not lock) and an excellent gutting blade with a dull knob near the point on the blade side to avoid spearing entrails, gut bag etc . This gutter also does not lock.

But to be honest I always carry a field dressing small pack that contains 2 other knives as well.

outdoorsman110 09-28-2012 02:16 PM

I usually only carry fixed blade although i love my 110's, fixed blade is my favorite style. The 2010 Mora Bushcraft and Buck Woodsman's are 4-6" blades and serve me well.

Chasam60 11-23-2012 06:05 PM

[quote=jrbsr;3630255]Whats your favorite hunting knife?

Brand? Schrade

Style? Uncle Henry

Type? LB-7 Bear Paw

Fixed blade, or Folding? Folding

Lock blade, or non locking blade? Lockblade

Bought this knife over 30 years ago. Made right here in Upstate NY,until they moved to Chi-com land.It has gutted and skinned several truckloads of deer.I guide deer hunters in Pa.and most of them don't even carry a knife.(Gutting is the guides job)This knfe will outlast me and will go to my grandson when I can no longer "cut it" myself.A couple of strokes on a ceramic V,and it will shave hair.

monoped 11-23-2012 07:38 PM

One my dad made 37 years ago while i watched. Industrial hacksaw blade for stock and elk antler for handle slabs. I modified tip profile eventually on about 5"blade. Leather for sheath from scraps from projects his mother worked.(i never met her).
Its butchered hogs,deer,small game and been to Canada anytime i have.
Lots of knives but this one hunts.
Not a big fan of stainless but swiss army knife does yeomans work.

theeageroutdoorsman 11-26-2012 05:22 PM

My favorite hunting knife is my fixed blade Buck 119. I was given the choice between a new hunting knife and an iPhone for my birthday so naturally I chose the knife.

GRIZZLYMAN 11-29-2012 09:49 AM

For skinning I like my Buck Vanguard (fixed, 4 1/4" blade).

For general carry I like my Victronex Hunter folding knife. Very large and heavy, but very handy.

cjclemens 08-25-2016 06:03 AM

I usually have 2 knives on me, when hunting. One is my EDC knife that's always with me - a Buck model 285. Its nothing fancy - just a good sturdy folder that's tough enough to handle some abuse and inexpensive enough that I don't feel bad about using the hell out of it.

The other is a fixed blade that stays in my hunting pack. Right now, its an OldTimer Sharpfinger. I really like the blade design for field dressing deer. It's just an el-cheapo Chinese-made version. I wish it was an older USA-made model, but those are getting hard to come by.

Allknives 08-29-2016 07:21 PM

Fave is MORAKNIV GARBERG FULL TANG HUNTING KNIFE, brought a few months ago from here

Mando 09-24-2016 01:26 PM

There are many great knife manufacturers that produce many models. Like most things hunting, choice of knife is personal. What's right for one might be all wrong for another.

Buck makes great knives. I own more than a few.

When I hunt, I carry only one knife, this one:

I've had it for at least 25 years.

Many times I've taken only this knife on Rocky Mountain trips. However, I've picked up one of these for heavy cutting as when boning elk:

I might take it to the Rockies this October. But since I'll be hunting only mule deer, I'll probably take only my Boker Tree Brand Classic 2002.

As long as the steel is from Solingen, Germany, I'm good.

BTW, I've bought three Solingen Boker knives. I've always managed to find them at prices far below MSR prices.

Oh yeah, I do have a Havalon Baracuda bone saw. Baracuda knife blades supposedly work well for skinning. But so far, my Solingen Boker Tree Brand Classic 2002 has performed flawlessly whether it's gutting or skinning.

If you're considering a Boker knife, it might behoove you to assure that it's manufactured in Solingen, Germany. Boker does have a line of knives that's manufactured in South America. I have no idea what steel is used on these knives.