Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Whts ur huntin knife? >

Whts ur huntin knife?

Community
Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Whts ur huntin knife?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have several that I have used over the years to include: Case XX, Old Timer, Helle Fjellkniven, Buck 110, and finally a Cutco Hunting Knife.
My favorites are the Cutco and the Buck 110.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

Camillius .30-06 lock-blade and Gerber Gator fixed-blade non-serrated.

Bought the Camillius ~ 18 years ago. Field-dressed and processed 60+ deer and it still take and holds a fine edge. Rips through the breastbone with little effort.

The Gator has a very nice grip, only used it a few times for field-dressing. Much lighter in weight, I may be carrying this one more as I get older!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Camillius .30-06 lock-blade and Gerber Gator fixed-blade non-serrated.

Bought the Camillius ~ 18 years ago. Field-dressed and processed 60+ deer and it still take and holds a fine edge. Rips through the breastbone with little effort.

The Gator has a very nice grip, only used it a few times for field-dressing. Much lighter in weight, I may be carrying this one more as I get older!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Spike

Bark River Ptarmigan
Old 07-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Spike

I make my own knives from 24" industrial circular saw blades 1/8 inch thick. they are high carbon steel that hold an awsome edge. best part is they cost me 0$ (except for the leather for the sheath). I dont need a zipper blade or hook to skin or fld dress any deer. dont be afraid your going to get blood on yourself anyway.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Spike

first one is a BillyBob custom

next is a texasnewf custom bullnose skinner
Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a variety of knives. I like my Buck 110 folding knife most generally unless special circumstances prevail. When I skinned and cut up an elk last year I used a Schrade fixed blade knife with a gut hook that worked very well and stayed sharp throughout. I don't like the gut hook -- no need for it and it can get in the way -- but the curve of the blade and the continued sharpness were very welcome. It has a nice non-slick handle. I also have a Jim Zumbo Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation knife, maybe made by Schrade?, that is about 6" long that I like pretty well. I don't remember whether I used it on my elk or not, but that is when that longer blade might be useful. I also have a small folding all-stainless knive -- about a 1.5" blade -- I think by Schrade that I use for gutting ducks.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

Could always keep an ole buck 110 around in good shape. I've switched over to a Case XX and haven't looked back. I carry alot of knives never know which day you might be skinning alot of game.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

This one..for the field..and the Buck Skinner for later..

Old 08-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Spike

I stumbled across an online knife store. They have pocket knives, straight blades, hook tips, multi tools, lots of stuff. www.pocketkniveshome.com Worth a look for sure. Waiting for my new gerber gator.... anyways check it out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.