Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Whts ur huntin knife? >

Whts ur huntin knife?

Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Whts ur huntin knife?

Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 AM
Spike

Default knives now that is something i know

every knife named in here and good knives but to be honest if you want a good field knife i would suggest something with a non slip handle. for example a gerber gator has a non slip handle and can be used for all the purposes. also another suggestion would be to get a game care knife set that you can carry with you in the field there are several companies that make them. here are a few. kershaw,ontario knife company,smith and wesson.

and if anybody needs any advice on knives please feel free to contact me. and just so you know that i have a idea of what i am talking about you can contact deerdust or even squeaks who both know about my background in this field
Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two that I use.
1) Buck folding hunter model-110
2) Browning three blade knife.

My third knife I bought about 30-years ago I found out a few years back it was a collectors item. I do not use it anymore.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have an case-XX skinner that i used to carry, then i just bought a Buck woodsman sharp as hell.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default scalpels??

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
Have any of u used scalpels?
Yes, I've used scalpels. But I carry 2 Swiss Army knives. I don't do much processing in the field, just clean'em and hang'em.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by tight360
Yes, I've used scalpels. But I carry 2 Swiss Army knives. I don't do much processing in the field, just clean'em and hang'em.
You like the scalpels?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Spike

Honestly, there are so many good knives out there. I've used Primos, Buck Knife, Old Timer and Marble.

This year I'm trying a Schrade. They have quite the selection, but I've snagged a couple to see which one I like best.

I never use a gut hook and I cut through the sternum, so I need a pretty strong knife. Several have held up wonderfully in the past, but I've started to lean away from folding knives and use fixed blades more.

Though I've heard good things about those outdoorsman utility knives. Dunno how well they work, but I bet they're a wonder on small game.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody use gerber? What do you think of them? I bought a set a few months back and only used it on a turkey so far. The knife was pretty dang sharp.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

I know several people use the Havalon (Sp) it is a scaple blade that they just change out when needed.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Spike

Default field knives

i use 2 in the hills one is my custom made steve wheeler,which fits just beautifully and the other is a kershaw blur assisted opening folder....i would like to get a ZT(zero tolerance) they are a very fine knife and the handles are great for non slip,gut hooks on knives i dont like at all,the gut hook that buck bought out was sposed to be a breakthru in field dressin but after some snooping around i found out that the design was copied from the alaskan trappers who deliberatly put that on their knives to lift the billy off the fire....go figure!!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right now I use a Buck Omni Hunter 10, but we will see what I end up with later this season.....its a decent knife, but I am wanting something a little nicer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.