Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Blades
Whts ur huntin knife? >

Whts ur huntin knife?

Blades Cutting edge discussion for all things knife related.

Whts ur huntin knife?

Old 01-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Spike

Default Puma

I carry a Puma White hunter and a but out for deer. I realy like the seated part as I can split the stuerum with it.

For elk and moose I add a meat saw, hatchet and steel to my pack.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

My favorite of many is a fixed blade Western Cutlery with a wood handle, 3 inch skinning blade. This goes with me almost any where. I have an old Schrade LB7 that I got on my 14 birthday from dad that I hold dear and use as a momento to him.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:37 PM
NEK
Fork Horn

These days, I'm using a vintage (Al Mar Roadrunner) a fixed blade, in the field. It is wonderfully sharp and holds its edge well - and is easy for me to touch up if need be. It's small and light but the handle is a little bit short for my hand.
When I lived and hunted in interior Alaska, I carried a custom knife made By Harry Morseth. It has a 6 inch blade and a 4 inch handle to fit my big hand. You could field dress and skin a whole moose without sharpening that knife if you didn't hit a bone. That knife is too heavy to carry around for deer and small game now - so I have sadly retired it. That is my all time favorite knife.
There are so many great knives out there. I have used a lot of them in my 73 yrs. Puma and Cold Steel are both fine blades. It's too bad that you have to make a choice - but you can only use one at a time.
I never did like using a folding knife on game or fish. Too hard to get the gurry out of the slot when you finish.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Best hunting knife I every bought is a Schrade 1430T. I bought one for $8.00 on sale at Big 5. Killed an elk that year and I was very impressed on how it kept an edge. I went back when they were on sale again and bought 4 more. Used a different one (one of the other 4) this past year to skin and quarter up an elk. Did the whole elk with one knife and I could still shave hair on my arm after. Not bad for a $8.00 knife.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buck 110 for the last 30+ years
Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 AM
Spike

bought this knife for my hubby for Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails Whts ur huntin knife?-032.jpg   Whts ur huntin knife?-029.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011, 04:28 AM
Spike

I picked this up at a flea market for $8 five years ago.
Awesome knife.Whts ur huntin knife?-knife.jpg
Old 04-10-2011, 03:04 AM
Spike

Choosing the right hunting knife can be a difficult challenge. If you choose wrong you end up with a paperweight that is more likely to be in your "junk drawer" than on your hip when you need it.
I am using ''FIXED BLADE'' hunting knife.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

I use a 2.5" old hunting knife. It is very comfortable in the hand and easy to control. Dont really like using the longer knives because it is easier to knick yourself or cut into something you dont want to
Old 04-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Spike

My favorite knive as well as my go to knive is my Sog Seal Pup. I carry it more then i can a hand gun...lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.