HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Blades (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blades-116/)
-   -   Whts ur huntin knife? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blades/321268-whts-ur-huntin-knife.html)

needs_recoil 08-23-2010 09:01 PM

My buck 110 and 119 never leave my pack until time to go to work. I also have my grandfathers old pocketknife. The brand has been worn off of it many moons ago so I dont know what make it is. My dad can remember him sharpening it almost every day when my dad was a kid. Looks like 3 tooth picks. Got it when my grandpa died and packing it is the only way I have ever gotten to take my grandpa hunting with me. Turns out those little toothpicks are the best knife Ive ever had for caping the head out.

richwrench 08-25-2010 03:16 AM

A Buck 110 folder in ALWAYS in my pocket 365 days a year. Then when I hunt, I also carry a large fixed blade Buck on my belt. It's great for skinning & dispatching hogs when dog hunting.

blgoode 08-25-2010 04:22 PM

Here is what I have setteld in to using latley.

This one the smallest of the few I grab for.
Its what I call a U.B.O.B. (urban bug out bag). 1/8" 0-1 stock and green micarta. 2.75" cutting edge.

For a do more size I like a larger simplified Gremlin pattern. 3.75" edge. Bottom knife is another ubob and top is a grimlin.

My most used knife has been this one. The Companion pattern. 4.125" edge. Shape is more for around camp than in animals :)

vermont bowhunter 08-25-2010 04:31 PM

lol ,i gotta laugh at this one,,,now whats it for..deer size animals and down i have a uncle henry pocket knife,,if yall need more than that to gut a deer its a sad day,,,lol.
i have enough stuff to carry i dont need a rambo knife...lol,,come on guys come down to earth.

blgoode 08-25-2010 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by blgoode (Post 3669857)

No Rambo size here :D

richwrench 08-26-2010 04:59 PM

LOL - I'd love to see somebody jump on a boar hog covered with pit bulls & dispatch it with an "uncle henry pocket knife".

We don't care how you "do it up north", we got our own way down here, thank you very much. :rock:

jdhogg 08-26-2010 11:26 PM

uncle henry and buck 110.dont need a machete,id cut myself with one.:)

OutdoorsmanReview 09-19-2010 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by cjgjr (Post 3612850)
Hmmmmmmm?
I have so many,
I would have to say the past yrs its been the buck vanguard series,the zipper model and without.
But this yr gonna give the Outdoor edge swingblade a try,Cause i always have trouble with the the guttn zipper clogging up with hair on the other zipper knifes.And the swingblade got almost the same knife blade design as the buck vanguard.So it will probably be my new fav...

I've been using the Buck Folding Hunter for years. If anyone's looking for a Buck Zipper we're giving one away for free at OutdoorsmanReview. Buck Zipper Giveaway

Squirrels 09-22-2010 01:25 PM

Buck Folding Kalinga (in black).
I especially like that it's black so it looks cleaner.

huntershikes 10-05-2010 05:30 PM

Whitetail & Elk: Cold Steel Master Hunter (4 1/2" blade)
Turkey & Pheasant: Winchester Drop Point Hunter (3 7/8" blade)
Small game: Shrade Sharpfinger
Backpacking & Hiking: Benchmade Griptilian & Kershaw Leek

Caleb T 10-06-2010 05:37 PM

I use an original model Cutco Hunting knife. My Dad has one just like it, and he bought me a used one when I was 12 or 13. I like it. :)

OkieOFT 10-10-2010 01:16 PM

Buck Omni Hunter 10pt. Love it. Used to use a Gerber Paraframe II but no matter what I did I couldn't get that thing to sharpen. Dealt with it for a year but took it to Wal-Mart and exchanged it for the Buck.

Silver_Wolf 10-11-2010 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Alsatian (Post 3650999)
I also have a Jim Zumbo Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation knife, maybe made by Schrade?, that is about 6" long that I like pretty well. I don't remember whether I used it on my elk or not, but that is when that longer blade might be useful.

This has been my knife of choice last few years. Fixed blade, has saw on it and hook. Bought a folding browning and was really not pleased with how it held its edge. Went back to the RMEF knife.

x-mountie 10-11-2010 02:07 PM

Personal favourite is the Cutco drop point with a serated blade. Cant beat it for sharpness and ability to do all needed jobds on downed game.

harter66 10-13-2010 01:17 PM

I carry an Uncle Henry UH60 from Shrade Imperial ,I can't even count how many fowl its dressed in 15 years along with 6 mulies field dressed and skinned . As a daily driver I carry a Mac tool branded Shrade Imperial 340 ,its the same as the Old timer or Uncle Henry.

Tasumin 10-28-2010 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by jdhogg (Post 3670765)
uncle henry and buck 110.

same exact thing. wonderful knife the buck 110 is, and will resharpen super nice.

BillBrasky 11-05-2010 01:04 PM

I like my Buck 119 special. It's well balanced, stays sharp, cuts through bone, and it doubles as a hand axe when necessary.

ihookem1 11-06-2010 04:19 PM

I'm going to retire mine. My dad gave it to me 35 years ago. I will only buy one made in USA. What choices do I have?

e40 11-09-2010 08:44 AM

I use a Randall knife, model 26 Pathfinder.

Shoulder Strap 11-29-2010 05:51 PM

I have many really good knives, I like to skin with my fixed bladed Western. Has a ring leather handle, a little curve to the blade and must be made of good steel. It stays sharp very well.

blgoode 11-29-2010 05:52 PM

Here is mine this year

gjk5 12-30-2010 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by cjgjr (Post 3612850)
Hmmmmmmm?
I have so many,
I would have to say the past yrs its been the buck vanguard series,the zipper model and without.
But this yr gonna give the Outdoor edge swingblade a try,Cause i always have trouble with the the guttn zipper clogging up with hair on the other zipper knifes.And the swingblade got almost the same knife blade design as the buck vanguard.So it will probably be my new fav...

I bought one for this year and took it with. I got to go to my boss's ranch and hunt. He runs a guide/oufitter service out of the ranch and is a Havalon dealer. My coworker shot his fat cow and she dropped on a ledge in a very awkward spot. My boss and I went to gut her and I handed him the Swingblade and said try it. He loved it, and as soon as we shot the next one he said "gimme that thing". He said he still loves the Havalon, but he bought all of his guides the Swingblade for Xmas. It zipped those suckers open like you would not believe. Guthooks always bind up, clog wiht hair and get hair all over the meat, those things DO NOT.

Lance_23 12-30-2010 07:16 PM

I have 2 Old Timer's that i use, one was my fathers that was passed down, and the other is the same kind from the same era, one is a gut hook the other is a straight blade.

scottycoyote 12-31-2010 08:51 AM

i use a browning kodiak 3 blade knife.....great overall knife. i may have to try out one of those cutco's though....awesome reviews

finnbear 01-05-2011 08:41 AM

Buck 105.................I've had it for about 45 yrs... I finally broke down and sharpened it about 15 years ago......I carry a small ceramic steel in my pack and just touch it up if needed in the Field!!! been through 14 elk and a whole bunch of deer!!!!
It's a fairly decent for skinning, small blade works good inside a animal

fritz1 01-05-2011 09:00 PM

ONLY a good ole American made Case XX!!!!!

huntingkidPA 01-06-2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by genesis27:3 (Post 3613794)
Have any of u used scalpels?

My dad does sometimes! they work very freakin well! he carries a couple in his fanny pack and they are way sharper than most buck knifes, we also use my ka-bar for bigger tasks like splitting the rib cage open.

casey012293 01-11-2011 04:42 PM

Allot of people use regular hunting knives, even i have for a long time. When i killed my elk this year, my buddy laughed at me when i pulled my knife out. He grabbed a new knife he started using this year, havalon knives, and started hacking away at my elk. It was unbelievable how sharp the blade stayed and that if it got dull, he carried replacement blades in his pack. They worked like razor blades, and one blade did (skinned and deboned) my whole elk and skinned the skull.

This is why we started carrying them, it might not be something you are interested in but they are fair priced, blades are cheap for as long as they can be used and it is really nice not to be able to not have to spend a whole night sharpening it. Needless to say, i replaced my heavy knife with one of the new lightweight havalon.

__________________________________________________ ____
http://www.bugsnbullets.com/Havalon_...g_mid_102.html

jcvibby 01-11-2011 08:11 PM

I have two Bob Doziers, I love them. Nothing but the best IMHO

trader74 01-16-2011 01:46 PM

I use a Buck omni

wallnuts 01-18-2011 01:03 PM

Puma

I carry a Puma White hunter and a but out for deer. I realy like the seated part as I can split the stuerum with it.

For elk and moose I add a meat saw, hatchet and steel to my pack.

gelarson 01-20-2011 07:08 AM

My favorite of many is a fixed blade Western Cutlery with a wood handle, 3 inch skinning blade. This goes with me almost any where. I have an old Schrade LB7 that I got on my 14 birthday from dad that I hold dear and use as a momento to him.

NEK 02-03-2011 02:37 PM

These days, I'm using a vintage (Al Mar Roadrunner) a fixed blade, in the field. It is wonderfully sharp and holds its edge well - and is easy for me to touch up if need be. It's small and light but the handle is a little bit short for my hand.
When I lived and hunted in interior Alaska, I carried a custom knife made By Harry Morseth. It has a 6 inch blade and a 4 inch handle to fit my big hand. You could field dress and skin a whole moose without sharpening that knife if you didn't hit a bone. That knife is too heavy to carry around for deer and small game now - so I have sadly retired it. That is my all time favorite knife.
There are so many great knives out there. I have used a lot of them in my 73 yrs. Puma and Cold Steel are both fine blades. It's too bad that you have to make a choice - but you can only use one at a time.
I never did like using a folding knife on game or fish. Too hard to get the gurry out of the slot when you finish.

Colorado Cajun 02-06-2011 08:37 PM

Best hunting knife I every bought is a Schrade 1430T. I bought one for $8.00 on sale at Big 5. Killed an elk that year and I was very impressed on how it kept an edge. I went back when they were on sale again and bought 4 more. Used a different one (one of the other 4) this past year to skin and quarter up an elk. Did the whole elk with one knife and I could still shave hair on my arm after. Not bad for a $8.00 knife.

sjsfire 02-07-2011 05:06 PM

Buck 110 for the last 30+ years

Shrapnal 02-10-2011 05:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
bought this knife for my hubby for Christmas.

urban wolf 04-07-2011 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked this up at a flea market for $8 five years ago.
Awesome knife.Attachment 16654

smith007 04-10-2011 03:04 AM

Choosing the right hunting knife can be a difficult challenge. If you choose wrong you end up with a paperweight that is more likely to be in your "junk drawer" than on your hip when you need it.
I am using ''FIXED BLADE'' hunting knife.

btnovotny 04-10-2011 07:07 AM

I use a 2.5" old hunting knife. It is very comfortable in the hand and easy to control. Dont really like using the longer knives because it is easier to knick yourself or cut into something you dont want to

scottb3472 04-10-2011 07:37 AM

My favorite knive as well as my go to knive is my Sog Seal Pup. I carry it more then i can a hand gun...lol