HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   T/C Maxi-Hunter, Maxi-Ball? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/99760-t-c-maxi-hunter-maxi-ball.html)

charlie brown 05-08-2005 01:43 PM

T/C Maxi-Hunter, Maxi-Ball?

Ok, I can get about 2" at 50 yds with the T/C Maxi-Hunter 350 Grain out of my CVA Bobcat. That is with 80 grs powder, and I am going to be trying some more with 90 and 100 grains here soon. The Maxi-Hunter is designed for "Maximum Expansion," but how far will it PENETRATE? The target for me will be elk this year (if I can get a tag of course, after being turned down for 3 years, lol). I have shot the Buffalo Ball et, but came to the conclusion it will not have the weight I want for a good penetration on elk. So, I have started to work with the T/C's. Any help would be great from people who have had experience with this bullet, whether on game or in other penetration tests. Thanks.

bigcountry 05-08-2005 03:48 PM

RE: T/C Maxi-Hunter, Maxi-Ball?

Maxihunters has penetrated every deer I shot, but I don't know about elk. They didn't expand much. I would go with the maxiballs. Maxihunters are all I used to use. I was pushing them with 90gr of pyrodex out of my inline and same load for a old sidelock I used to have. Open sighted I got around 4" at 50 yards. But my vision is less than good.

Triple Se7en 05-08-2005 05:43 PM

The Maxiballs were the original... deep penetration but little expansion. Then came the Maxihunters.... more expansion but less penetration. If I were hunting elk with my 1-48" Deerhunter ML, I would use these below in 385 grain.

Buffalo Bullet

Roskoe 05-08-2005 07:49 PM

I have tested the 350 gr. Maxi Hunters in wet phone books, and they provided almost exactly the same penetration as the 385 gr. Buffalo Bullets. And I have shot a couple of elk with the 385 gr. Buffalo Bullet/100 grains of Pyrodex. They were ideal for a broadside rib shot - wound up mushroomed out to a big frontal diamter, just under the hide on the off side. So, indirectly, I would advise that the Maxi Hunters would work just great - but shoot for ribs, and stay away from the shoulder.

Having said that, there are some better elk rounds out there - if they are legal and if your gun will shoot sabots. Roskoe

charlie brown 05-08-2005 08:33 PM

Roskoe - I have tried some Nosler Partition Sabots out of my CVA. They were extremely difficult to load and the recoil was absolutely HORRIBLE!! I can start most lead bullets, including the Maxi-hunter and the Buffalo Ball e-t with my finger. The same with round balls. I also cannot use scopes, which limits me to under 100 yds anyway, I feel even more comfortable at closer than that, probably more like about 75 yds max. That should be no problem if I can actually draw a September cow tag this year, lol. I have not tried the Goex and Pyrodex side-by-side, though I think I will do that also and see what I can get accuracy wise.

Thanks for the replies.

Pittsburghunter 05-08-2005 08:41 PM

I called CVA to ask about rounds for an older gun and they said CVA Powerbelts shoot the best out of most their 1:48 guns.

I will tell you they shoot better than the big conicals out of my 48.

charlie brown 05-08-2005 08:54 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. I still have a few of them. The ultimate accuracy is not of a MAJOR concern, as I will be limited in the distance of my shots anyway, mainly by the energy carried by the bullet, and actually being able to SEE the target well enough to make a clean shot. If I can shoot 2" at 50 yds, I am pretty happy, as I am far sighted and its hard enough for me to line up the sights anyway.

MLKeith 05-08-2005 11:22 PM

You might consider a peep sight. I am far sighted and over 65 and I find the peep sight helps to get me a good sight picture as well as a good target picture. You might be able to use a scope with no magnification; have you asked about that??? 295gr. Powerbelts with the aerotip penetrate rib cage and pass through elk (at least mine did this year) with only 90gr. of Black Mag'3 pushing it (was about a 90 yard shot).

charlie brown 05-08-2005 11:28 PM

I can't use a scope at all, the regs specifically state open or peep sights ONLY. I may put some peep sights on it. Just last year, I put a set of Lyman Hunter sights on it, which greatly helped out over the original open sights that came with the gun.

rick_reno 05-09-2005 07:17 AM

I can't use a scope either on elk muzzle loader hunts in Idaho - I went with a peep sight and really like it. It has the advantage of very quick target acquistion - my eye isn't trying to do the impossible and focus on rear sight, front sight and target all at the same time.