Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First gun: Firebolt Ultramag or Traditions? >

First gun: Firebolt Ultramag or Traditions?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First gun: Firebolt Ultramag or Traditions?

Old 04-28-2005, 02:07 PM

Default First gun: Firebolt Ultramag or Traditions?

I can get a Firebold Ultramag 209 .50 cal with a free .45 barrel for $170, OR I can get a Traditioons Thunderbolt for $100. This will be my first gun ever, mostly for rare target shootting on a buddy's farm. Any opinions?
Thanks!
Jim Cox
[email protected]
Old 04-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First gun: Firebolt Ultramag or Traditions?

First Gun: Knight or Thompson Center
Old 04-28-2005, 03:02 PM

well i have to agree with triple se7en on this because my omega is awesome, but if you are just deciding on those guns...a guy i know has a firebolt ultramag in .45 and its a good gun. I've shot and hunted with it, and i like it. its pretty accurate and reliable with the 209 primers. no experience with the traditions, sorry. i think you'd be ok going with the firebolt though.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Dominant Buck

If you're going to do a lot of target shooting then you might want to re-think your gun selections. Inline rifles are all fine and good, but they are a lot more expensive to shoot then the old style traditional rifles. The reason being the traditional rifles will shoot roundball which is still the cheapest projectile out there to shoot. If you're determined to shoot an inline then get one that shoots bulk projectiels. These are best found in hangun bullets and then purchase your own sabots. The best sabot shooting rifles out there of reasonable cost are the Thompson Center and Knight.

If you're going to scope the rifles and shoot long distance and want an inline rifle, might I suggest going to Natchez.Com and consider a Knight Wolverine .45 caliber. They are a high quality muzzleloader which will shoot excellent groups. I should point out that the .45 caliber knight would need a scope since it does not have standard sights. But for target shooting and whitetail hunting, I think this would be a lot better choice then the ones you have mentioned... Purchase bulk handgun bullets and bulk sabots and shoot some loose powder and you have a great shooting rifle at as low a possible cost per shot as you might get.

My Knight Wolverine .50 caliber also does a good job of shooting roundball... Knights are American made with an excellent customer service and quality control...

just my opinion
Old 04-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Another good rifle to consider that is still in that price range is the NEF Sidekick in .50 caliber. You are getting a break open design and an American made steel barrel. The out of the box reports of accuracy have all been good on the rifle.