HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   BARNES Spit-Fire MZ (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/98383-barnes-spit-fire-mz.html)

roger1shot 04-24-2005 10:27 PM

BARNES Spit-Fire MZ

Hi Everyone,
Just got back from Grander Mt. at Houston.
I've got some New Spit-Fire MZ 245 grain to try in my Knight Disc .50
On the back of the of the box,it states 3-50 pyrodex pellets gives you 2151 FPS. Sighted in at 125yds they state that the bullet drops -1.82" at 150yds,then at 200yds it drops-8.20" .
If I sight the Knight in at say2 1/2"to3" high at 100yds.
How much would the 245grain bullet drop be at 200yds?

And has anyone killed any deer with this load?
If so ,what do you think of it's performance at 100 to 200 yds on deer?

Wolfhound76 04-25-2005 05:51 AM

RE: BARNES Spit-Fire MZ

Good luck. I never got them to shoot out of my Disc Extreme. They do shoot wonderfully out of my Omega though. Shot a few deer last year including a yearling at 201 yds according to my rangefinder.

bigcountry 04-25-2005 07:02 AM

If I sight the Knight in at say2 1/2"to3" high at 100yds.
How much would the 245grain bullet drop be at 200yds?
My disc extreme got the 250gr knight Expanders got sub2MOA groups with 3-777 pellets and sighted in at 2" high at 100 yards, I was getting 8" drop at 200 yards and 6" groups. But I only have a 1.5-5 power scope so precision work at 200 yards is difficult.

I can't imagine the 245's doing much different, but I haven't tried them yet. All my ML, from TC Encore to Wolverine to disc love the Barnes the best.

One thing I do with heavy loads is to use a magnum subbase. Definately helped my groups and velocity spreads.

Triple Se7en 04-25-2005 08:34 AM

Roger

If you haven't opened the package yet, well.. you may want to go exchange them for some Shockwaves or SSTs.

Your Knight bore is slightly oversized & your Barnes Spitfire 245s generally run quite undersized... unlike the 250 gr Barnes Expanders.

Why Barnes chose this bullet diameter for the 245 grains... I haven't a clue. My Omega is known for a tight bore & the Barnes fit nicely.

Just my opinion.... take them back for some 200 or 250 gr T/C Shockwaves.

bigcountry 04-25-2005 08:42 AM

Your Knight bore is slightly oversized
This was true at one time when they used cut rifling on the LK's and MK's, but I am not sure thats the case in the last 5 years. I sluged my disc and came out right on target. The Extremes and Elites are button rifled and inside diameter has to be kept from .499" to .502".

I believe its another internet myth. As you say, triple, advise on the internet is worth what you pay for it.

Triple Se7en 04-25-2005 09:28 AM

This was true at one time when they used cut rifling on the LK's and MK's, but I am not sure thats the case in the last 5 years. I sluged my disc and came out right on target.
Your Disc is not of the normal variety. Further proof that Knight has not changed for the past five years was their plea to Powerbelt Inc. to offer a wider variety Powerbelt bullet in the green packages that stated for use in ALL muzzleloaders. That was 100% Knight's doing.

I do agree that in the past 12 months, tthat Knight Inc. may have reduced their bore sizes in the new Discs. Not sure thou... just another one of those internet rumors........

bigcountry 04-25-2005 09:30 AM

You may be right triple. I called knight a few min ago to ask when they changed over. He said he wasn't sure.

So what does your knights measure?

Triple Se7en 04-25-2005 11:28 AM

Never miked any Big Country.... just have shot two Discs recently & the widest diameter sabot/bullets I have in .452 go down the chute without getting blue in the face like they do with my Omega...lol

I do mike all my bullets thou... even take the micrometer, scotch tape & sharp, thin blade with me bullet-shopping. When I purchase some, I get back into my Chevy Colorado 4X4 & proceed to open the package carefully without destroying it. I grab the micrometer & measure the bullet I just purchased. If they are too wide for my liking, I mend the package with scotch tape & go back into the store for a refund or exchange on another purchase.

This wasy, there's no wasted gas & my precious time returning them from home... possibly 5-10-50 miles away.