Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloader shotgun >

Muzzleloader shotgun

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader shotgun

Old 04-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Muzzleloader shotgun

Hi guys,
I have a question, How do you load a muzzleloader shotgun? (I bet your thinking this is a dumb question.) Can you use pyrodex pellets if so how much 100 or 150 grains? I have an encore barrel I got used and no book came with it. So if someone could go through all the steps it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 04-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Muzzleloader shotgun

ORIGINAL: bullmoose38

Hi guys,
I have a question, How do you load a muzzleloader shotgun? (I bet your thinking this is a dumb question.) Can you use pyrodex pellets if so how much 100 or 150 grains? I have an encore barrel I got used and no book came with it. So if someone could go through all the steps it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
That would depend on the kind of muzzleloader shotgun you're shooting. For instance in my smoothbore .62 caliber I load 80 grains of loose powder, then an over the powder card which I ram down onto the powder. Next I add a lubed fiber wad and push that about two inches into the muzzle. I make homemade paper wad cups which I next insert. I then add 100 grains of #6 shot, filling the paper wad cup. On top of all that I add two over the shot cards. All this I push down onto the powder card. I then cap a #11 cap onto the nipple and am good for any kind of bird or little critter out to about 25 yards.

In the modern inline shotguns like the Knight TK2000 you would load 2 - 50 grain pellets, then the plastic shot cup. Fill the shot cup with about 1 1/4 ounch of your desired shot, then an over the shot card or you can split a fiber wad in half and use that to hold the shot in place. Push the shot cup and over the shot card down onto the pellets. Put your 209 primer in the right place and you should be good for about 40 yards with the right choke. If you are using a #11 cap or musket cap then I would not use the pellets. Instead use the loose powder. You might want to check the company that makes your shotgun and get a manual for it. In there will be step by step instructions on how to load it and recommended charges. If you load 150 grains of powder, it might not be safe for your inline shotgun and the recoil might not be something you want to experience......

And this is not a dumb question. Better to ask then to do something silly and hurt yourself, someone around you, or your shotgun.

I am sure there are others here that shoot the inline shotguns. I am basing my explaination from watching a friend load his Knight TK2000. They will be able to give you the step by steps. I still hunt with the 20 gauge smoothbore....

If you're going to use your powder measure to judge the shot you want, this might be handy..

POWDER MEASURE SETTINGS TO THROW OUNCES OF BIRD SHOT:
50 grain setting = 3/4 ounce of shot
60 grain setting = 7/8 ounce of shot
70 grain setting = 1 once of shot
80 grain setting = 1 1/8 ounce of shot
90 grain setting = 1 1/4 ounce of shot
100 grain setting = 1 3/8 ounce of shot
110 grain setting = 1 1/2 ounce of shot
120 grain setting = 1 5/8 ounce of shot

Since you have an Encore barrel I would contact Thompson Center and get a manual... Also call them on the phone and they will be glad to explain it to you..

If you have a question call the Service Department (603) 332-2333, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time).

Thompson/Center Arms Co.
Service Department
Farmington Road
Rochester, New Hampshire 03867

To obtain an Owners Manual for my Thompson/Center gun?
E-mail your request for a manual with Model and Serial Number of your item to [email protected]
Old 04-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

The great thing is you said you bought an Encore barrel. You can call up T/C and they will send you a manual for free. Just tell them you bought the ml shotgun used and they will send you one right out. Just as Cayugad said.

Good luck it sounds like it would be fun to play with a muzzleloading shotgun.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:57 PM

E-mail your request for a manual with Model and Serial Number of your item to [email protected]