Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 help with a hard loading encore 50 cal >

help with a hard loading encore 50 cal

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

help with a hard loading encore 50 cal

Old 03-27-2005, 02:19 PM

Default help with a hard loading encore 50 cal

just bought a new t/c encore that everyones talking about in 50 cal,whys it so hard to load up the bullets wont go down easily very hard,im using bore butter 100 grains of 777 loose and a t/c xtp 245 grain sabot and shockwaves and barnes expanders all with the black plastic jackets,hurts so bad my palms bleed and l;ast week i got one stuck had to have my gunsmith remove if was jammed so tight,triple seven help me before i sell this inline??i spit patch after every shot which i dont have to do with my knight disc extreme,help my e-mail is [email protected] why are they so hard other than the old well the barrels are so close fitted excuse,,
Old 03-27-2005, 02:40 PM

Default RE: help with a hard loading encore 50 cal

T/C bores seem to be tighter with the encores and omegas. my omega isnt very bad though, and ive not heard of any being so tight that palms bleed. ouch...uh, try powerbelts which are smaller and maybe call T/C and see what they say, they have excellent customer service. if its really that bad, they may send you a new barrel or something, i dont know.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I would not recommend the use of the bore butter. I would start all my shooting on a clean dry barrel. As for why your barrel is so tight... usually that can be solved with a change of sabots. But since your shooting Thompson Center products in a T/C rifle I would think that should have worked.

I think I would telephone Thompson Center and discuss this problem with them....
Old 03-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

T/C had some problems with sabot being made a little to big but it sounds like you are having trouble with other mfg as well.

I could not even load the Shockwaves I bought this fall in my Encore I ended up twice having to take the gun apart and and use a block of wood and hammer to drive the things out the breech. I know some sabots are tight but this was incredeble.

I called T/C and they said some of the sabots made for them were oversized and they will send you some free ones to fix the problem.

BTW I use a T-handle screwed onto the end of my ram rod while shooting at the range and have a little block of wood with a 3/8 hole about half way through it to put on top of the ram rod when reloading in the field.

Sabots are great but you have to put up with some hard loading while you experiment.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:17 PM

tell ya what i own a knight disc extreme now problems what so ever,you would think using t/cs sabots it would shoot in a t/c gun.ive even had the barrel lapped in still no way,,im ythinking about powerbelts or a sabot without the plastic jacket??any one else??help
Old 03-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

45/50 black Harvester sabots
44/50 green MMP sabots
Barnes Spitfire sabot/bullets
Harvester Sabertooths
Powerbelts
Buffalo sabot/bullets
Precision Dead Centers/QT sabot/bullets.... especially 40/50s
Bulk bullets like XTPs/Gold Dots in .429 and .451 with Harvesters/MMPs

Call T/C & complain. Ask them why they changed from MMP to thicker Hornady plastic sabots. Hopefully, they still have some leftover MMPs to send you.

Also... get a good T-handle for your ramrod or buy a range rod. Aways use a clean, dry bore & use lots of spit on that patch. Very lightly, lube around the plastic sabot with bore butter..... but don't put any on the bore walls.

One last thing... make sure you're using a quality solvent that removes plastic, copper & lead WITH A BORE BRUSH. I even use a bore brush for swabbing at the range. Most blackpowder solvents & stuff like Hoppes #9 are pretty weak.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

buck slayer i can sympathize with you here are my dealings with my friends new to him encore (209X50), btw i have one also and have never had a minutes trouble with it..

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/fb.asp?m=814074&key=

btw he is now shooting 1.25-1.5 groups and is very happy with the gun, in fact t/c told him to send it back but he is so pleased with the shooting now he says he is not going to return it. also the pics of the maxi balls we ran down the tube didn't give justice of how bad they looked in person, really needed a magnified pic to show how bad they were.

best of luck, and like everyone else has mentioned contact t/c these folks seem to bend over backwards to help
Old 03-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Typical Buck

My Omega is almost as tight as what you are describing. I finally went to Hornady bullets with harvester sabots to be able to load them. Powerbelts load easy and I am in the middle of trying the Sabretooth from harvester. I ran a light polishing with JB bore paste (200 strokes up and 200 down) which helped a little. If you have a stainless barrel they seem to be slightly more difficult to load due to the nature of stainless when it is machined it tends to leave rough surface compared to 4140 steel (my Omega is stainless).
Old 03-28-2005, 05:06 AM

mines stainless also,i already did the bore job with the jb paste still hard to load,my next step is a different sabot,powerbelts or something meantime i contacted t/c but i dont know if theyll help since its a used gun,,ive been told encore and omega barrels are the same basically,real close tolerances but id sacrifice some of that just soi could shoot the thing..
Old 03-28-2005, 08:37 AM

Get one of these. It'll get rid of the bleeding palms!

Quick Reply: help with a hard loading encore 50 cal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.