Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 In a Quandry--T/C Omega and No Excuse Connicals >

In a Quandry--T/C Omega and No Excuse Connicals

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

In a Quandry--T/C Omega and No Excuse Connicals

Old 03-27-2005, 08:14 PM

Default RE: In a Quandry--T/C Omega and No Excuse Connicals

newhunter
http://deeva.info/
I don't no if the above link will work but mark over from hunterman boolets makes some custon bullets/sabot .I would shoot him a e mail and talk to him ,he may have some good ideas in what you are looking for.I did place a order with him for some 451 mag boatails in 250 and 300 grainers ,he swag his bullets he a great guy to talk to if you have any ? also his pirices are 1/2of the precision bullets.I had not yet had a chance to see how they shoot out of my 54 cal. thunderhawk ,hay he sent me the bullets without payment .I did send him a check
Old 03-27-2005, 08:29 PM

Thank you--this is just what I needed. This guy seems to be just like Dave from No Excuse conicals. Look forward to talking with him.

Paul
Old 03-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

cayugad..................
if you're still interested in those QTs - the 300gr version has given me the best groups, with the 350s/360s close behind, and even the 400gr versions shoot very nice out of that USAK. Which bullet I hunt with just depends on how big a critter I'm expecting.

You can see the kind of groups I get with them here:
Targets
Old 03-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Dominant Buck

very impressive shooting there Mark. Nice Ram too!! I have to find some pictures of the Buffalo Bullets and see if I can match something up that looks like those you used. Then I will try that.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:14 AM

Well, I am no longer in a quandry. I've received the No Excuse conicals but have not shot them as I was waiting for my wife to go and get me some black mag 3. She will swing by Mid-south tomorrow on her way home from Atlanta. Since it's on the way this is saving me hazmat and shipping. I could only convince her to get me two pounds. That should suffice--I hope.

So I've got the NE Conicals now and Mark Lynch from Boolets has sent me some 300grain sabots that he made for me and my omega. As soon as I get them I'll head out to the range and do some shooting. What I have left with the Pryodex 777 3f, I'll compare with the BM3. I have some working up to do with the conicals and the sabots as I want to see what conical/sabot uses what powder combo.

Here is my train of thought for the Omega and the CVA Buckhorn that I have. With the CVA, I'll make that my Powerbelt rifle as it loves the powerbelts, but I'll only shoot the 295 AT or the 348's. More than likely I'll go with the heavier powerbelt. Although, CVA told me that as long as I didn't shoot the 460 NE conicals with charges of 100 grains or more then that would make it--I actually plan on using at least 80 grains and no more than 90 grains. Opinions anyone?

Now with the Omega, I plan on working up a load with the NE conicals and shoot them at 50 yards until they are about 2" high. Then shoot them at 100 yards and see where they are impacting. After that, I'll clean the rifle and start working up a load for the boolets that I have. I don't want to have to modify the scope and hopefully they will be close to center, but I'll work with the powder until I get them hitting in the same spot as the NE Conicals.

I'm thinking in theory this my be the way to go, but I am unsure. What would everyone else recommend? Once again, opinions anyone?

Paul
Old 04-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

BM3 is potent!

Do not exceed 70 grains with that CVA using a NoExcuse 460. If using Pyrodex, do not exceed 85 grains.

CVA Inc (BPI) does not want you to exceed 100 grains with a 400 grain conical. When you exceed either the bullet grain or powder grain, you MUST cut back on the remaining one.

Proceed with caution... better yet.... play it entirely safe & just use monster bullets in the Omega.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

BM3 is potent!

Do not exceed 70 grains with that CVA using a NoExcuse 460. If using Pyrodex, do not exceed 85 grains.

CVA Inc (BPI) does not want you to exceed 100 grains with a 400 grain conical. When you exceed either the bullet grain or powder grain, you MUST cut back on the remaining one.

Proceed with caution... better yet.... play it entirely safe & just use monster bullets in the Omega.
I have thought it over and won't go over the 348 powerbelt, but my question is then why does CVA and Powerbelt have the dangerous gave power belts--these are well over the 400 grain.

Not trying to start an argument, and yes my safety is more important than the 460 conicals. So with that said I'll stick with the powerbelts and maybe the boolets that Mark cast for me. I should get these today.

However, what about my other question? Is it possible to get the 460's No Excuse and the 300 grain sabots from Hunterman boolets hitting in the same spot without adjusting the scope? Would I sight in the 460's first and then sight in the sabots next and add powder to bring the POI the same? Information needed--please.

Paul
Old 04-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

....but my question is then why does CVA and Powerbelt have the dangerous gave power belts--these are well over the 400 grain.

Please.... offer me some proof that CVA(BPI) owns Powerbelt (Big Bore Express). It is rumored that the family owns the factory & manages over the bullet-makings -- but does not own the materials (bullets) in the factory or the Powerbelt name.

....what about my other question? Is it possible to get the 460's No Excuse and the 300 grain sabots from Hunterman boolets hitting in the same spot without adjusting the scope? Would I sight in the 460's first and then sight in the sabots next and add powder to bring the POI the same? Information needed--please

Yes.... you can obtain the same "4-5" kill zone" with both bullets. You may accomplish that goal in a hurry (or) it may take a long time at the range. What makes it most difficult is subjecting a sabot to bullet lube from the No Excuse bullet -- should you decide on using the conical first. Most lubes in bores play havoc with plastic sabots... ie... three fine shots - then one right off the target. So I suggest to begin with the sabot/bullet - then follow with the monsters.

First-off, you need top determine what yard-range you want to accomplish this & the further out you go -- the more you'll need to rely on loose powder grains. The easiest method is with an electronic scale & use weight measures AFTER you measure the weights of each 5-grain increment from 60-120.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Dominant Buck

You might not get them to hit exactly in the same spot, but I see no reason they should not hit close. The 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB and the No Excuses hit real close out of my T/C Black Diamond XR.

I also agree with Triple Se7en. BM3 is said to be some real strong stuff. I would not push a No Excuses too hard with that powder. You are going to be creating some tremendous barrel pressures with the big concials and powder, so for your own sake take it easy. I use my CVA as my Powerbelt Rifle and small weigh sabots rifle....
Old 04-04-2005, 01:26 PM

So maybe I should designate my CVA Buckhorn for the Power belts and the conicals and the Omega for the big monsters.

Please.... offer me some proof that CVA(BPI) owns Powerbelt (Big Bore Express). It is rumored that the family owns the factory & manages over the bullet-makings -- but does not own the materials (bullets) in the factory or the Powerbelt name.

I have no proof--just a statement.

One more question--will starting out BM3 with 70 grains be enough to kill a whitetail at 100 or more yards? Wouldn't this bullet have a rainbow effect in flight? I know that everyone says that BM3 has more velocity than say 777, but what amount would be a good HUNTING combo?

Paul

Quick Reply: In a Quandry--T/C Omega and No Excuse Connicals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.