Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloaders what do I stay away from and what do I buy? >

Muzzleloaders what do I stay away from and what do I buy?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloaders what do I stay away from and what do I buy?

Old 03-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Muzzleloaders what do I stay away from and what do I buy?

White Super 91. I have taken Both Whitetail,Mule deer and a Bull Elk with that white. I want something that will be similiar to it and be a consistent performer,ultra reliable and stout and shoot huge bullets at 1200 fps.
[/quote]
I think White is still in business try searching for www.whitemuzzleloading.com. I have a friend in Illinois that picked up a White used and is really impressed with how it shoots heavy bullets and also can shoot multiple shots without swab between shots. Most newer inlines will not do that unless you use one of the super clean powders like American Pioneer or the newest entry that I love Black Mag'3. If you are in Colorado I believe there are still limitations on what you can use for bullets and primers. I think smokeless is not legal either so that would rule out the Savage which I also considered but eliminated as Arizona does not allow smokeless either. The NEF barrel is a consideration but I would check with someone that knows as there may be a cut-off in serial number as to where it will work with some actions. It is likely going to be a sabot shooter in twist so you may not be able to shoot heavy conicals some inlines do some don't. I have not tried heavy conicals in my Omega other than Powerbelts and the 348gr. ones shoot very good in it at least up to 100 yards. After that you have to talk to someone else as I don't try to shoot farther than that.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Now I own a NEF rifle .. I can buy the barrel and foreend for it and convert it to a Muzzleoader. Does anyone have one and how do they like them. Better said how good do they shoot
That'll be your cheapest option. I've also heard mostly good about them. The negatives seem to be the ramrod and primer holders. Not a big deal if you don't plan on shooting a lot.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I own a T/C Black Diamond XR which is a great all around rifle. It shoots sabots great, but I often times hunt with 460 grain No Excuses Conicals. Although I only use 85 grains of Pyrodex P to shoot them or something equal to that in power, it seems to be all the rifle needs. It is accuracte and hard hitting with the big conicals as well as flat shooting with the sabots...

Also it has a great warranty from a company that will be in business a lot longer to come. The only draw back if you can call it that is the Black Diamond does not have the new style breech design of a drop action. It is the old fashon striker action with three different ignitions to choose from. Because of it being the older style you can find them on sale for a very reasonable price from time to time....
Old 03-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

do your self a favor and get a breech action (or similar) type ML. simple, fast, easy
Old 03-17-2005, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Now I own a NEF rifle .. I can buy the barrel and foreend for it and convert it to a Muzzleoader. Does anyone have one and how do they like them. Better said how good do they shoot

The answer would depend on the model you have but most likely yes and almost everyone thing I've read seems to be postive about the Huntsmans.

Here is a pretty active forum dedicated to NEF Huntsman users.
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/php...b97cd0f0ad9cbd

I own the NEF Sidekick which is the almost the exact same gun and I am very pleased with it. The only difference is in the reciever. The Sidekick can not be converted to a centerfire rifle, thus allowing NEF to compete in the catolog/mail order market since a background check is not required. You can purchase a new Sidekick for as low as $159 at Cabelas.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think White is still in business try searching for www.whitemuzzleloading.com. I have a friend in Illinois that picked up a White used and is really impressed with how it shoots heavy bullets and also can shoot multiple shots without swab between shots.
Yep they keep on coming and going in the business. Quite a shame since as you pointed out above they have no equal when either initially loading a bullet or followup shots. When I shot my bull with it, the guide said reload now. I told him I had already done it ..thats how fast it took. I will play with the NEF and see how that works out..Reading up on the TC and the Knight Revolution.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Knight or T/C
Old 03-19-2005, 12:24 AM

I've had very good experiences with T/C - their support is excellent.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:16 AM

BUY A T/C YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!@!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2005, 07:27 AM

Well, that about like asking what kind of under dawers you should wear. You need to look at what your price range is, and you must also consider the use that the muzzleloader will be used for, you would not want a .32 cal if you are going to hunt deer, or a .58 cal if you going to use it for small game. There are a lot of pros and cons for each, but depend on you. For ease of cleaning and accuracy I have found that the inline is great. I have side lock, and inline in several calibers and I like them all for the purposes that I use each respectfully. You have some time, look at as many as you can, find some of your friends that have them and try them out. What every you get, try and pick the best you can afford and you will not be disappointed.

Swatts

Quick Reply: Muzzleloaders what do I stay away from and what do I buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.