Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Newbie questions on T/C Black Diamond >

Newbie questions on T/C Black Diamond

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Newbie questions on T/C Black Diamond

Old 01-01-2002, 07:11 PM

Default Newbie questions on T/C Black Diamond

I was wondering if some of you guys could help me out. My wife bought me a T/C Black Diamond kit for Christmas. I am really excited about using it next season, however, I have a few questions. My gun came with three ignition systems, which was is the best to use or does it not matter? Everyone I talk to seems to like the 209 primers best. Also I was wondering what loads work best with this combination? I will be using it to hunt whitetails in the Northeast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:22 PM

Default RE: Newbie questions on T/C Black Diamond

I bought a Black Diamond a couple of years back and I am really happy with it. I prefer the musket caps, because they throw a lot more fire than the no. 11s, and are easier to put on and take off than the shotgun primers.

Also, you can seal them to the nipple with fingernail polish, and then put a piece of tape over the muzzle, to make the gun virtually waterproof.

I also recomend trying Pyrodex pellets with this gun. I sarted out using three 50 grain egiv. pellets, but have since backed down to two, which still provides plenty of power, with less recoil and muzzle-blast, but you might want to play around and come up with your own load (the pellets also come in thirty grain).

I have achieved fine acuracy with this gun, and have used it to take several deer.

Good luck and happy hunting.