HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   black powder shotguns? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/89197-black-powder-shotguns.html)

SCbowhntr 02-03-2005 09:25 PM

black powder shotguns?

Hey y'all,
I was wanting to get a BP shotgun (preferably a traditional sidelock type) for upcoming turkey season. Any thoughts or recommendations? Could I get a list of manufacturers or websites? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UncleNorby 02-04-2005 10:58 AM

RE: black powder shotguns?

T/C makes one. Check out their website.

cayugad 02-04-2005 03:55 PM

If you want a nice traditional sidelock, find a .54 caliber Thompson Center Hawkins or Renegade on an auction site. Then get a .62 caliber smoothbore Green Mountian IBS barrel that will fit right into that stock. You can shoot shot or large roundball out of it. Load it right and it will kill turkey out to 25 yards.

Turkey Addict 02-12-2005 11:03 AM

Hey SCbowhntr,

I just bought a used Thompson Center New Englander. Its a single a barrel 12 gauge sidelock with screw in chokes and a wood stock. I have been looking for the past two years for this type of gun. It seams the manufactures have all switched over to inline shotguns. This is what I have found for options.

1. You can get a new 12 ga double barrel sidelock from Cabelas for around $600.

Keep in mind from what a know all of thease guns have been discontinued.

CVA made The 12 gauge Trapper Shotgun. As far as I can tell it was offered with either a fixed modified or a screw in choke version. From what I can tell they were only offered in a wooden stock.

Thompson Center 12 gauge New Englander sidelock, Synthetic or wood stock, screw in chokes also avilable in .50 or .54 cal rifle barrels.

Thompson Center 12 gauge Black Mountain Magnum sidelock. Synthetic or wood stock screw in chokes, also avilable in .50 or .54 cal rifle barrels. Now from what I can tell the New Englander and the Black Mountain Magnum Are the same guns. The difference being The Black Mountain Magnum was desinged for Magnum Loads.

cayugad has a good point. I considered going this route myself.

Now as far as finding one of thease shotguns keep an eye on the online gun auctions. Try Gunbrokers, AuctionArms or Guns America. A CVA shot gun kit turned up in a search of compleated items on one of those auction sites, It sold for $169 back in December. Check with your local sporting goods store. Thats were I found mine. It was a trade in that has been hid away in storage for quite a few years. I hope I have been of some help

Good Luck
Jerry

Ruger-Redhawk 02-13-2005 02:24 PM

I'm not sure if they are even being made anymore. Navy Arms had a couple different BP 12 ga db-bbl's with the side hammers.They had a light weight model that kills on one end and cripples on the other. It was way to light. Then they had the Magnum model.I sold the light weight and bought the Mag model.Knight also makes a single bbl 12ga.Model TK2000.

Ruger Redhawk

Tree climber 02-14-2005 03:33 PM

if you can find them ; CVA makes a 12ga. double sidelock.they are awsom for turky out to 25 to 30 yards.
I have one that is the real old one. I have had it 20 years now.
they are real fun to shoot.a friend of mine shoots doves with his.kinda slow but fur.at one shoot I saw him shoot one bird and almost spearded it with the ramrod.:D.

Ifly 02-14-2005 04:51 PM

This add is on a blk. pwdr. forum..if you're interested post back and I'll send you the e-mail address.

FOR SALE: T/C Blk. Mtn. Mag 12 Gauge + .54 Barrel
T/C Black Mountain Magnum 12 gauge percussion shotgun. LNIB, black synthetic stock, blued barrel, 4 screw-in choke tubes, choke wrench, extra nipples, 2 ramrods and factory paperwork.
Also, a .54 New Englander Barrel that drops into this stock, has T/C adjustable fiber optic sights installed(factory iron sights included) and 2 ramrods.

Asking $300 plus shipping for everything or make offer.