Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzel loaders  Powerbelt vs Deadcenters?? >

Muzzel loaders Powerbelt vs Deadcenters??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzel loaders Powerbelt vs Deadcenters??

Old 01-14-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Muzzel loaders Powerbelt vs Deadcenters??

Has anyone used both?? I have used the deadcenters and I was impressed I did take out a doe with a 50 cal sabot 220 gr. at 191 yards. But now I have been hearing about powerbelts and have done some reading on them, but need more info??
Old 01-14-2005, 06:58 PM

Default RE: Muzzel loaders Powerbelt vs Deadcenters??

i have not used both yet but the 245 power belts were not good with my gun. i thought that there was something wrong with my gun. the 245s shot all over the place. i have talked with alot of other guys and they have had the same problem. but i have heard that the 295 grain shoots very well in most gun. i found out it was not the gun but i have not tried the 295s yet. i was using 90 grains of goex clear shot. i found out that a round ball shoots very good out of the inlines with a 209 primer. they will touch holes at 80 yards.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the deadcenters and I was impressed I did take out a doe with a 50 cal sabot 220 gr. at 191 yards. But now I have been hearing about powerbelts and have done some reading on them, but need more info??
============================================

Actually, we need your info more-so than you need ours right now.
What rifle model do you have?
What powder you using & how much?
Old 01-14-2005, 07:56 PM

Opps , sorry , tradations e-bolt, inline 209, triple 7 pellet 100gr. I have used Rem 265 sab and have dropped 2 so far I use 245 hornby for fun. They where all over the place 100yd 3-4 inch. but the Rem's where costly so only used for hunting, and same with the deadcenters
Old 01-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Dominant Buck

If I was getting that kind of accuracy and killing power with a bullet at 190 yards there would not be any need for me to go looking further for a load to shoot....

I have shot the precision bullet silver lightening in 300 grain out of my Black Diamond XR and they shot excellent. The accuracy was outstanding. The rifle also shoots powerbelts all right, but I have not had a chance to harvest a deer with the rifle as the deer were most uncooperative this year....
Old 01-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Typical Buck

I've practiced with both and used 348gr Aero PowerBelts and the PR QT sabots on hogs.

The PowerBelts offer good accuracy - the DCs & QTs, EXCELLENT accuracy.

On hogs, the PowerBelt blew right thru both shoulders and never expanded a bit. The 350gr QT when in one shoulder and lodged under the skin of the opposite shoulder and expanded to over an inch in diameter. Here's a pic of the QT remains: QT results This was pushed by 90gr of loose 2fg 777 Powder.

Both bullets put porky right down on the ground............................but I sure prefer to see the classic mushroom to ease my worries about good stops on game.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:29 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

If I was getting that kind of accuracy and killing power with a bullet at 190 yards there would not be any need for me to go looking further for a load to shoot....
Exactly!
Old 01-15-2005, 04:51 AM

I have used the 348gr hollow point power belts to take a of couple elk. Only took one shot on each animal. Never found the bullets, but they did the job.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

C.B.W.

You are not going to beat your D.C. target grouping using one pellet grain size (100). I'm guessing you no longer want to pay close to a dollar a bullet & aren't willing to shell-out around $100 to get a much better deal on D.C. discounted bulk prices... am I correct? Copper Powerbelts (preferred ones) aren't much cheaper in area stores.... right around 70 cents for copper hollow points (my favorite).

Even with the Powerbelts, there's no guarantee of D.C-like shot groups. You may need to add 30-grain pellets to give you more options on narrowing range groups. You also may need to change to Pyrodex to conquer that task. Every rifle is a different animal because bore sizes vary E-Bolt to E-Bolt.

I suggest FFF loose 777 to hone-in on group sizes. Since both bullets you mentioned are 'easy loaders" in most bores, I can give you a cheap bullet alternative that performs real well on game. It comes in both hollow-points & soft points (my favorite). They rival the XTP in pistol bullet popularity & load easier than most others. All you need to do is pick out what size you want.

I suggest starting-off with the 240 grain ... you can also purchase 50-pks of plastic sabots from this site to save on shipping both items at the same time (or) maybe a store close-by to you sells these Speers in their reloading aisle - then go the muzzleloading aisle & buy either
1)Harvester
2)MMP
3)T/C
plastic sabots.... in that order.

Your per-shot costs are now under 25 cents & performance levels "could" rival/ come within an inch of the D.Cs. Main thing is either changing to loose powder or adding 30-grain pellets to the mix.

Ooops... forgot to mention this safety comment.
Do not ever point that E-Bolt in a non-safe direction upon loading it or after loading it. That model has big-time issues with triggers/open bolts that causes it to fire without warning signs. Consider selling it/retiring it... then go T/C or Knight shopping right here. Just start another thread asking for help.

Speer Gold Dot Bullets

Other Speer Gold Dot Bullet Options

In 44/50 plastic sabots, I prefer the T/Cs over the Harvesters. In 45/50s, the Harvesters are the best (in my opinion).

T/C Plastic Sabots (50-pk)
Old 01-15-2005, 08:56 AM
bigcountry

For deer stick with your deadcenter. Especially if your killing at 190. You ain't going to do that with no powerbelt. I don't care what anybody says. I am not a fan of the powerbelts, cause they just don't fit tight enough to be able to shoot anyload you want. Close up action with 90gr of 777 and a real heavy powerbelt, I would rather have that than the deadcenter. But where I hunt in swamps, you can see for 1000 yards.

I tried the deadcenterss and got inconsistent results last year and ended up going with barnes. But I haven't gave up yet on them. Only thing I was trying was heavy loads of 130gr loose 777 and 3 777 pellets. But was also experiementing with SST's. I noticed I would get 2 shooting real well and get a spoiler 3" away alot with the deadcenters. I would say that was blowby.

Quick Reply: Muzzel loaders Powerbelt vs Deadcenters??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.