Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Just ordered the Power Stem for disc >

Just ordered the Power Stem for disc

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just ordered the Power Stem for disc

Old 01-12-2005, 11:01 AM
bigcountry

Default Just ordered the Power Stem for disc

I now have great luck with 3-777 pellets and 250gr barnes. But wanted to play with loose powder. So I ordered this power stem breach plug for my elite. Anyone else play with it. Gives me something to do all winter.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Just ordered the Power Stem for disc

BC,

Actually, I think you will like loose better than pellets - other than convienince. I really believe I get a more uniform burn from the lightly compacted loose powder than I do the pellets. I do not know how much diffference it will make in your accuracy, but i do think you will get more consistent shots.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:09 PM
bigcountry

Sabot, I never was a huge fan of the pellets cause you can't fine tune the loads. But had no choice on heavy loads like 3 pellets and 250gr barnes. I couldn't get 150gr of loose to burn well. So until the last year or so, I was strickly a loose powder guy. I was hopeing for good loose performanc with >2000fps performance in the 240gr region. Maybe it will work, maybe not. I will let you guys know.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I now have great luck with 3-777 pellets and 250gr barnes. But wanted to play with loose powder. So I ordered this power stem breach plug for my elite. Anyone else play with it. Gives me something to do all winter.
I saw an ad for those in a magazine. If they work, couldn't all manufacturers make teir own versions?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got to LOVE those 250gr. BARNES !!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

bigcountry,

I think a lot of the efficientcy of burning those big powder charges depend on how you ignite it. The hotter the ingnition the bigger the spike, greater the pressure and of course on the other two ends bigger kick - more velocity.

The advantage to loose might be that it takes up less space in the barrel and and no dead air in the charge space. The real advantage would be a timed controlled burn, but that is not in the cards for BP or Subs.

The real difference in my mind is when you start weighing your pellets on a powder scale, the can be a big discrepency between pellets. You will not get the same charge everytime. Even the rate at which they absorb moisture is different in each pellet. I THINK these things are a little more consistant in loose powder, especially if you go to weighing your charges separately like a lot of target shooters do...

I shoot 300 grain and 250 grain Noslers with a 100/110 grains of loose t7, but off the top of my head I can not remember the velocity - those numbers are at home and I am in the classroom rith now.

Good luck