Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C Shock Wave Bullets and Sabots >

T/C Shock Wave Bullets and Sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Shock Wave Bullets and Sabots

Old 12-18-2004, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default T/C Shock Wave Bullets and Sabots

Last week I picked up 5 packages of the T/C Shock Wave 50 cal 250 grain bullets and sabots.Has anybody used these and what are your feelings about them?Wally World had them marked down so I decided to try them out.In my Knight Disc all I've ever shot are 250 grain XTP's and the Knight Black Sabots.Thanks for your comments.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: T/C Shock Wave Bullets and Sabots

Them shockwaves are no good at all... you should put them in a box and mail them to me!!! Just kidding of course. Yes they are an excellent long range projectile. You can push them as far as 120 grains in some of the better rifles, and they still hold great. I did not get the oppertunity to shoot a deer with one this year. I think they would get great penetration and expansion. So if they are accurate.. place that in the right spot and make some venison sausage afterward..
Old 12-18-2004, 01:02 PM

I have shot them both in my CVA inline and they work great.

I tried them today in my Firestorm and they did not perform as well. Going to stivk to the powerbelts in that gun.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, No telling when I'll actually get to try them out. Our range leaves allot to be desired and I hate going to it.At least you guys sound positive about them.I thought about buying all they had,then I thought if they are no good I'm stuck with them.I appreciate your comments. They were marked down to 7.00 a package containing 15 bullets and sabots.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-19-2004, 01:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ruger, I used the Hornady 250gr SST's(same as you bought just TC packaged and sabot) this year behind 100 gr of T7 loose. Accuracy was awesome and gained improvements in trajectory down range over the 240 XTP I previously used. The bullet combo harvested 3 deer this year (1 mule doe, 1 whitetail doe and 1 whitetail buck). The mulie doe was the first game experience 171 LRF yard shot, double lung mid rib shot she travelled maybe 30 yards then tipped over, blood trail was typical of XTP (not lots but adequate) and virtually no difference in entrance or exit hole (complete pass through). The whitetail doe was shot by my buddy out of my gun, the deer was face on at less than 20 yards and boy did it travel, we found a good mushroom bullet tucked along the spine under the backstrap about mid way back(entered mid line of the neck), it held around 60% of it's mass and the deer never moved. My wt buck was a heavy quarter 75 yards, bullet enter the lungs and exited out in front of the shoulder on the opposite side cliping the bone and caused a bit of shoulder damage (1 1/2" exit hole). In this case we did find the peeled back copper jacket upon skinning but the core exited the body. Deer just flopped and never moved again.

Unfortunately I only had one classic rib shot so really tough to base on that. However I have heard similar reports so at this point I would say no great difference in wound channel (expansion) over the XTP. I do think it held together better than XTP, obviously the other 2 animals harvested it proved worthy of doing some sluggin'. The real payoff was the gained accuracy/trajectory, while the XTP has always proved reasonably accurate in my Rem 700MLS the SST better it and allowed me more room to tweak my charge.

PS yes I will be using them again next fall
Old 12-19-2004, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

I also just picked some Shockwave 250s on sale at Wally Word. I was wondering do you need a special Jag so as not to crush that nice plastic yellow tip
Old 12-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Skeeter for your comments.Sounds like they do the job well.

Striper Phil you bring up a good question there.I never thought about damaging the Yellow plastic tip.My thinking is unless they are extremely tight going in ,it shouldn't hurt the plastic.Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-19-2004, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several loading jags for poly tiped bullets . I use 1 that I bought when I was using another brand . Here's 1 Link from Cabela's ,but you should be able to get 1 from a local GUN shop.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks johnch, I'll check it out.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-19-2004, 05:12 PM

I tried the TC Shockwave and they broke my ball loader. Too hard to load.

Good luck with them....

Tom

Quick Reply: T/C Shock Wave Bullets and Sabots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.