HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Barrel Cleaning & Flushing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/82569-barrel-cleaning-flushing.html)

Tahquamenon 12-14-2004 07:39 AM

Barrel Cleaning & Flushing

A great trick for barrel flushing is if you have a threaded hose fitting on your laundry sink or an hose adapter for your kitchen sink, use an old washing machine hose with the end cut off. Attach the threaded hose end to the threaded faucet. The cut-off end fits right into the barrel with the breech plug removed. Then just turn on the hot water and let it flush for a minute or so. Really heats up the barrel and gets things super clean. Then brush a few times and flush for a few seconds then lube.

Best,

Tahquamenon

Triple Se7en 12-14-2004 07:58 AM

RE: Barrel Flushing

What make/model rifle did you try this on? I'm assuming it's a 50-cal also... right?

Tahquamenon 12-14-2004 09:16 AM

Actually it works on 45, 50 and 54.
45 cal Knight Elite, fit is a little snug.
50 cal Omega and Encore. Fit is snug.
54 cal Firehawk fit is a little loose.
50 cal Savage MLII, fit is snug.

Once the breech plug is removed, just hold the hose into the breech plug area and turn on the hot water.

cayugad 12-14-2004 09:20 AM

I did the same thing by buying a long nosed (8") thin plastic funnel at Wal-Mart for $1.39. I put it in the inline rifles from the breech in, then head to the bath tub. Turn on the water and flush all the Goex down the drain. Then it is an easy clean from there and the majority of the crud is away from any trigger assembly....

Triple Se7en 12-14-2004 09:24 AM

I certainly wouldn't try it on a filthy Omega with the triigger still attached. All the fouling would run right on trigger components. Sounds like a nice idea to power-flush non-scoped sidelocks... especially hot flushes for those using Bore Butter-type lubes.

cayugad 12-14-2004 09:30 AM

Actually I bought it for the Black Diamond XR because the trigger does not come out and it is scoped. I can reach in there past all that with the long funnel and turn the water on as it runs through put a drop of soap in there and within seconds, all the fowling is washed away from the trigger. That was the one thing I did not like about the Black Diamond as compared to the Knight or CVA I have. On both of them you take out a screw and the trigger assembly comes right off for cleaning..... I can see where your Omega would be a problem.

Triple Se7en 12-14-2004 09:54 AM

Cayugad

Turning out a small screw half-way & popping out two pins removes the Omega firing door/pin & trigger assembly, but I only do that once a year. Between times, I clean those areas with 4-5 Q-tips.

One time, I turned that tiny screw more than half-way & it dropped onto pile carpeting. I'll bet it took me 1-1/2 hours to find that darn thing.

Tahquamenon 12-14-2004 10:04 AM

Actually I've flushed several with the barrels in the stocks or with the barrels removed.
I've never removed the trigger assembly.
You have to watch what you are doing and be holding the hose with the barrel pointed into either the sink or into a bucket and then turn on the hot water.

for the bolt actions, just pull out or back the bolt so the breech plug can be removed.
On the Encore and Omega, the breech plug is easily removed while the barrel is in the stock.
Flush until the barrel is hot to the touch.

Just a thought.

Triple Se7en 12-14-2004 10:09 AM

I gotcha' now!.... install it thru the breech... not the muzzle. Thanks... I'll try that after hunting this weekend.

Tahquamenon 12-14-2004 10:19 AM

Sorry my FLUB.
I should have explained better.
With the breech plug removed, put the hose into the breech plug area with the muzzle pointed into either the sink or into a bucket.