HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   shooting and having fun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/82065-shooting-having-fun.html)

little-d 12-09-2004 04:30 PM

shooting and having fun

my little boy and i just got through shooting my tc white mountain carbine.We shot a uncarved pumpkin first,it blew about a 8 in hole out the back. Then we shot a plastic 5 gallon bucket full of water it exploded sending water 20 foot in the air and the bucket was tore to shreds.Next was a old full gallon can of yellow paint,that was totally awsome the top went straight up with a splash of paint the rest of the can and paint went every where in a 20 foot circle.We shot all with the same load at the same distance of 50 yards. The loads were 80 grs of 777 , .451 -200gr xtp hollow point bullets and mmp black sabots. I WISH I COULD OF GOT THE PAINT CAN ON VIDEO. Now i know why deer go down so fast went shot with this load it must blow then up on the inside.

quigleysharps4570 12-09-2004 05:16 PM

RE: shooting and having fun

:D:D:D Those old cans of paint are hard to beat. I get mine from my brother-in-laws automotive store, gives me all the old stuff. Been thinking about those exploding targets you see advertized. Bet that would be a blast. :D

gelarson 12-09-2004 05:32 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I shot a frozen 1 gal milk jug of water this year at 80 yrds and that was a hoot. Right now it is minus 34 outside so we have no shortage of frozen anythings..... especially myself.

Eric

Striper Phil 12-10-2004 08:29 AM

Nothing like slinging lead with your son and blowing up things.

-34 holy cow thats cold

mauser06 12-10-2004 03:23 PM

shooting things like that is one of my favorite things to do.......when i was younger and i was up the mountains or on a buddys farm wed take 22's out to where people randomly dump their trash and blast away..(yes it was safe....we made sure)...i filled a gallon milk jug with water and hit it with a 350maxi hunter a few weeks ago at 50yds or so.....my buddy filmed it with his camera phone.....i couldnt believe what it did.....crazy.......we watch the video almost every day lol....good way to have fun.....

Wildweasel 12-10-2004 03:40 PM

Have you ever Shot a 100# Propane Clyinder that was Full? Talk about Fun, and Loud!

cayugad 12-10-2004 04:07 PM

If you want to shoot for fun some time... take a soda or beer can and fill it with water. On level ground put a large stump of firewood. Place the water filled can in the center of the stump. Now place another unslpit chunk of firewood and balance it on the can. A word to the wise, do not make the chunks too tall if you want it to work. Then back off what ever distance you like and shoot that can. It will explode and the top stump will fall and land without tipping over on the bottom stump....

Another great target is take charcoal briquets. Some twine. And some tape. Make a loop in the string and put that around the charcoal. A little tape will help hold it there. Then tie the other end of the string to a pole so it will hang in front of you. Now get back and let it fly and hit the charcoal. This is really cool if there is snow on the ground. A black cloud will float out over the snow if you do it right. You can also do this with eggs.

Every spring friends and I have our anual "fruit shoot." We go to the fridge and bring out all the science experiments that have been pushed to the back of the refrigerator. Apples, oranges, banannas, grapefruits all work great. Just put them out at different ranges and shoot... The birds will clean up the mess for you...

When your sure your really ready, take a double bit axe. Drive the axe into a chunk of firewood. Now on each side of the other blade, put a clay piegon throwing target disc. At 25 yards the trick is to shoot the blade of the double bit axe with a roundball, the blade will split the roundball and you should see both piegons dust..... It can be done. We were doing it one day to impress some of the other people in the club that were considering getting into black powder but were not sure if they wanted to hunt with something so inaccurate. We hooked a bunch of them that day.

Another one is to take a candle and light it. Put the candle on a stump. Back off to 25 yard and put the flame out with out hitting the candle. I will be honest I have never been able to do it.... But I did see it done once. This is the final insults to us when we think we have gotton too good at shooting.

We also play a game called which centers around cutting down a small tree. We pick teams. The trick is to shoot off your tree before the other team does. We no longer do this as a speed shoot after a near accident one year, so we line up and each pair of members on the differnt team shoot..... This is pretty cool when the trees get small and you have to take out a certain chunk to make it fall.

Paul L Mohr 12-10-2004 05:34 PM

eggs are a blast to shoot, I've done it. We used to try and shoot pencils out of the ground with our .22's as well.

Paul

AJ52 12-10-2004 05:47 PM

Wildweasel - 100# btl of propane - your freekin Nuts Dude!

little-d 12-10-2004 05:49 PM

dang gelarson,i was thinking about moving north but i think i will stay down here in good ole hot mississippi.IT WAS 68 YESTERDAY, BUT IT COOLED OFF A LITTLE TODAY,good luck in the morning keepin warm.