Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Question re: son's youth Rossi setup >

Question re: son's youth Rossi setup

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question re: son's youth Rossi setup

Old 12-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question re: son's youth Rossi setup

I bought my son a Rossi youth 50 cal and shot it for the first time this weekend. I was amazed. After sighting in on Saturday we went back out on Sunday to shoot again. At 50 yards I shot twice and he shot once and all three shots were touching the bull. We did the same thing at 100 yards and had a 1 3/8" group. This little $175 gun grouped better than my Knight! We shot 60 grains of pyrodex pellets and a 240 grain bullet. Does anyone know ballistics on this setup? I was wondering if there would be plenty of kinetic energy to take whitetails out to 100 yards. We hope to get him a chance at his first deer this year. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks and good luck to all.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:02 PM

Default RE: Question re: son's youth Rossi setup

Your son will have no problems taking a deer at 100yds with that ML. I would suggest a scope if you plan on shooting that far out.

We shot 60 grains of pyrodex pellets
I shoot loose 777 , but I thought the pellets only came in 50gr inciments ? How did you get a 60gr charge w/ pellets ?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:09 PM

and before cayugad gets on me about recommending a scope , I personally dont use one since my shots will rarely be past 75yds. I just feel that any shots over that distance should be made with a scope ( reduces bad shots ). Even if it is on a ML.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Slugman, thanks for the reply. We have a 3 x 9 scope on the gun. Also, pyrodex comes in 30 grain pellets for 50 cal in addition to the 50 grain. I was using 60 for the lower recoil as my son is only 11 and on the small side. The lighter load is the reason for my concern about bullet energy at 100 yards. For anyone wanting to get kids involved I cant say enough good about this little gun. Takes about 5 minutes to clean also.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:25 PM

I like using the loose powder so I can adjust the loads depending on a situation , ie using a heavier bullet.
If you switched to loose you would be able to customize a load that is shoulder friendly for your son , but
still powerful enough to take a deer at 100yds. Beleive me 10gr incriments can make a big difference.