Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

POS CVA!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2005, 02:45 PM

Default RE: POS CVA!!!!!!!

For those of you getting tight groups with your optimas could you pass on your bullet/powder combination. I love my optima but need to get my group size down.
Optima - 26" nickel barrel (squeeky-clean barrel - no fouling shot). My master load; 250g Hornandy sst with .452 Harvester Sabot (much easier to load with this sabot). 90g 777 ffg, CCI 209 primer. Result - one big ragged hole at 100 yds (bench rest + 3x9 scope). With this load I am 6 for 6 shooting deer so far - my shortest shot was so far was 35yds - my longest shot was 192 yds (perfect conditions) and he dropped like a bad habit. The other load that comes pretty close is the 250g shockwave (same bullet as the SST) with the standard T/C sabot. I get 2" groups with the same charge and primer at 100 yds.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:57 PM

Is that loose powder or 3-30g pellets?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:11 PM

Loose - 2-50g pellets have acceptable accuracy with this combo - but not as consistently accurate as with 90g loose ffg.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I wonder if that is some magic number with CVA rifles. I shoot a Staghorn Magnum and if you want excellent accuracy you load 90 grains of loose RS or Goex FFg and your projectile. Any more then that and you get flyers. Any lighter then that and the group opens up a little....
Old 02-21-2005, 08:36 AM

I have a cva magbolt ( hunterbolt) I know it was not a high quality gun when i bought it but it was all I needed.This gun will shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards and 2"-3" at 140 yards.I never have loaded it with 150 gr charge because 90 grains of 777 is plenty accurate for me.I am planning on buying a sidelock this year if I get the money I will buy a Lyman hawken.