Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloader hunting >

Muzzleloader hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader hunting

Old 11-16-2004, 09:11 AM

Default Muzzleloader hunting

I have only posted a few times on here but I read the boards faithfully and I have found a lot of knowledgeable people who post here. So now I have a question. I am thinking about purchasing a muzzleloader for next year's season but I know absolutely nothing about muzzleloader hunting. Any pointers or advice?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzleloader hunting

I am thinking about purchasing a muzzleloader for next year's season but I know absolutely nothing about muzzleloader hunting.
Focusing on next year is great. Rushing the process for this year could be detrimental. Decide how much you want to spend, and research the models in your price range. I'm kind of assuming you want to go inline, though there is nothing wrong with traditional muzzleloaders.

If you know somebody with ML experience, team up with him this summer. You can learn on your own, though. Just read up on all the safety precautions. Be ready to spend some $$$ on powder and bullets this summer, and try ut a variety of loads to see what shoots well for you.

The hunting aspect is the same, with one big exception -- one shot -- Make it count!

Last tip: Cleaning the gun is critical. When buying one, make sure the cleaning process is convenient. You'll thank yourself later.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you're ready to buy Banjo... just start another thread with what interests you. Not sure if you want a 45-50-54 caliber! Not sure if you want an inline or sidelock rifle! Not sure if you want to hunt open-sights or scope! Not sure what powder appeals to you! Not sure how much moola you're set on spending!

C'mon back... this is the place for window shoppers & all types of users. We have the best core of regular posters right here at Hunting.net
Old 11-17-2004, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

couldn't agree more with triple se7en. been on mulitple boards, and the regulars here are absolutely the best, the most knowledgable, and the most tolerant of idiots like me who don't know what they're doing and need advice.