Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Advice On Muzzleloader? >

Advice On Muzzleloader?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Advice On Muzzleloader?

Old 11-10-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Advice On Muzzleloader?

Im looking at getting into black powder and looking for something decent at a good price. I have been looking at a Traditions E-bolt 209 with a tasco world class 2-7x32mm seems to fit the bill for me. Any Advice would be great!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Advice On Muzzleloader?

Tradition's is a good rifle, but give us a price range and you might be surprised what we can find for you that is better quality. For instance, Natchez.Com has an excellent sale on Knight Rifles. Say what you want but a Green Mountain Barrel and Timney trigger for $150.00 is hard to beat...

I have not heard any reports too terrible about a Tradition's E-Bolt but you need to get to a sporting good store and handle and shoulder some different rifles. See what fits you and what you like for features. With the price of some of the break opens right now, they might be a better way to go.

I heard that Bass Pro was selling a Beartooth Magnum for $99.00. That is almost the same thing as a dressed down Optima by CVA. Same company makes both rifles and the barrels are interchangable.

Also the Tasco World Class Scope used to be a good scope but they have some problems for late reports on them. If your going with that set up be sure the store has a good return policy......

Anyway, let us know what kind of money you have to spend and see what the forum can come up with for you.... That is the beauty of them... If you don't like the suggestions then get your Traditions. And good luck.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry... heard bad news on that rifle. It clogs up the action only after a few 100 grain shots. It's been known to fire prematurely & I think a few injuries were involved. It has terrible blow-back--will eat-up your scope-bottom.

The only inexpensive Traditions I suggest is the Tracker 209. No problems with the trigger.... only 1/2 the blow-back. Places like ultout.com has them for around $110. Keep your powder charge at 120 or less with these inexpensive, Spanish barrels please. My two Traditions never see magnum powder charges.... my one never sees the woods. It's the Shenandoah that stays on my fireplace wall

Another smart move would be checking out Cabelas.com for their NEF/Marlin rifles. They are inexpensive, break-action design & American steel.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

You might consider looking at a knight wolverine. If memory serves me correct they run 350-400(Cdn). I know a couple guys who shoot this ML and they really like em.

Traditions and CVA I have heard mixed reviews about, but have no real experience. Your in the right place though and I am sure you'll get some good feedback!

Good luck
Old 11-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

skeeter 7MM I bought a Wolverine II from Natchez.Com. They are selling them for $149.00 and I think with a rebate they have the disc rifle for $179.99. I shoot Barnes Expanders out of the Wolverine and the accuracy is hard to compare to. The Barnes Expanders I have never had a chance to try on deer but from all the reports on the projectile it is said to be one of the better deer stoppers...

That's why I am not looking at that sight anymore. Too many good deals there....
Old 11-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to think about 2 things when choosing a scope: Durability and eye relief.

The scope hase to handle the "kick" without kicking you in the forehead!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad hit it right on the head. You can't go wrong with the Knight muzzloaders and Natchez usually will beat anyone on any hunting product. If they don't they will at least match them and they are great guys.

The same with the guys at Knight. I call them for advice on loads etc.. and it's like calling a buddy. They are awesome and even have sent me sample rounds to try.

The Tasco scopes are all junk. I don't know of a better way to put it. The will even be worse on a muzzleloader because of the recoil.

Cybersniper

I shoot a Knight Stainless Synthetic Disck Extreme with a thumbhole stock, .50 cal and a Bushnell holosight scope. 250 grain Knight Red Hot w/ 100 grains of tripple seven loose. It's a tack driver.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:18 AM

Buy a Knight, pay a little more now and you'll have a gun you'll shoot for years.
Ditch the Tasco and buy a Bushnell Banner at Walmart, too.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:48 AM

http://www.tndeer.com/ubb/NonCGI/ult...257;p=1#000019
cayugad : this guy used a barnes bullet ,I never seen a hole that big ,have you?
Old 11-17-2004, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I would never go back to a bolt type ML. I switched to a breech action and they are great. Easy to clean being the best feature. My new one is a Rossi ($200).

Quick Reply: Advice On Muzzleloader?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.