Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

hunting question

Old 11-11-2004, 09:28 PM

Default hunting question

This is my first year ml hunting. I am shooting a remington 700mls. Now when i go hunting and lets say i do not get a shot off what do i do with the load thats in it? Do i just shoot it off? That would scare deer right? Can i just take the nipple out and ram it through? Or do i just leave it in there? In illinois an unloaded ml is considered to not have the primer in it. Does this mean i can transport the ml in a vehicle with the load in it as long as the primer is not in it? Thanks
Old 11-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hunting question

If you're not gonna be hunting again for a few days, go ahead and either fire the round off or take out the breech and push the bullet out from the muzzle toward the breech (ALWAYS make sure the primer is out before going that route).

If you're gonna be hunting the next day, It's ok to remove the primer and transport the gun back to camp/home. BUT in order to keep condensation from forming in the barrel (which would ruin your powder), leave it out side so it stays the same temperature as outside...............just protect it from any moisture (rain or dew). And when you go out the next day............make SURE the bullet is still seated tightly against the powder charge with your ramrod before you attempt to fire it.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

maliburacing

Check this string out

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=817869
Old 11-12-2004, 04:44 PM

maliburacing - Mark whiz is right on with his advice. When I first started hunting with a muzzleloader, I use to discharge the gun every night, which of course meant I had to go right back and clean it that evening. Once I read that a person could leave the round in for a day or two I started doing that, with no ill effects. As Mark whiz points out, it is really important though that you don't take it into a heated space at the end of the day. As long as you avoid that, you should be okay. I've left mine with powder and a bullet in place for up to three days and never had a problem with it firing when needed (that was with Pydrodex, however. I don't think it would be any different with black powder, but you might want to see what others say).
Old 11-14-2004, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: maliburacing

This is my first year ml hunting. I am shooting a remington 700mls. Now when i go hunting and lets say i do not get a shot off what do i do with the load thats in it? Do i just shoot it off? That would scare deer right? Can i just take the nipple out and ram it through? Or do i just leave it in there? In illinois an unloaded ml is considered to not have the primer in it. Does this mean i can transport the ml in a vehicle with the load in it as long as the primer is not in it? Thanks
YES!! Take the primer out - put a wad of Saran Wrap or some other waterproof stuff against the primer hole, then lower the striker to hold it in place to keep moisture out until the next day. Then store your ML in a locked truck cab or similar cold place overnight so sweating does not ruin your powder charge.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:53 PM

Ya there is already a thread about this going on right now you could read if you want. I own a 700ml as well and if you read the other thread you will see I leave mine loaded until I shoot it. However if you decide you don't want to do this, its really up to you on how you feel about it on a personal level, you can unload it if you want.

Your remington should have came with some cleaning stuff and tools. One being a black plastic tube that screw into the back of the barrel. If you want to empty the charge this is what you do.

REMOVE the cap! Then take your allen wrench and loosen the screw that holds the bolt assembly in, remove the bolt assembly. Then point the muzzle down and remove the nipple and breach plug. You can leave the nipple in if you want and remove the breach plug and nipple as an assembly. Then you can push the breach plug up thru the back of the reciever (it's a pain, maybe the allen wrench will help?) Don't tip the gun back though or the powder will run out the back. When you get the breach plug out, screw the plastic tube in and tip the gun back. The powder will run out the tube, then you can push the bullet out the back as well. You will most likely need the extension piece and handle because your rod will not be long enough.

I know this sounds like a pain in the butt, but if you pull the breach and just dump the powder without the tube it will get powder all over inside the gun and you will have to clean it any way.

Run a patch down it to make sure everything is clean and nothing is in your barrel. Then re install the breach plug and bolt. Be carefull with the remington and the breach plug. It only needs to be finger tight, don't stick the little t rod thing in the tool and crank down on it! It is much harder to get out then it is to get in. Just snug it down finger tight and use some thread grease on it. Be sure to fire a cap off before reloading it as well if you can. Every time my muzzle loader has failed to fire it was because I didn't do that after cleaning it.

Onother option is to buy one of the CO2 unloaders. You put it over your nipple and it blows the charge out the front of the barrel. I've never used one, I don't know if they work on an inline or not. They were designed to unload side hammers I think. If you can get the tool on your nipple it will work though.

As you can see it would be much easier to just fire the weapon and clean it, especially if you are using clean shot or 777. Or just leave it loaded if its feasable.

Paul