Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions 209 pissed me off HELP >

Traditions 209 pissed me off HELP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions 209 pissed me off HELP

Old 11-01-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Traditions 209 pissed me off HELP

Hey Folks,

You guys have helped me in the past. I tried to get my nipple plug out and the metal which holds the primer disintergrated like a bad tooth. It will still hold the primer just barely. How can I get this out and put a new one in? Any suggestions.

Thanks Abunch
Old 11-01-2004, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Traditions 209 pissed me off HELP

the best way is take it to a gun smith.they have all the tools to do it with.

the next best is get an ease-out and do it your slef.really not that hard.just drill the hole and tap the ease-out into the hole and screw it out!!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 06:18 AM

The best thing you can do is get rid of the Traditonally a POS and get a TC or Knight.

Honestly,
RA
Old 11-05-2004, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Red I see you do not care for Traditions rifles. I am guessing CVA and some other brands would fit into that catagory. I have to disagree. I own three tradition rifles and two CVA rifles and all of them function and shoot excellent. My Tradtions I admit are roundball rifles sidelocks, but they are a beautiful rifle to look and and shoot as nice as they look.

Getting to the problem at hand. I would take this problem to a gunsmith if you have no experience with guns. The reason is your are messing with a part of the rifle that could actually cause injury should it fail completely, or will make the rifle just a real pain...

I think your talking about the actual 209 nipple where in the back is a wire that holds the primer in place. Can this be removed and a new one installed that you can purchase like a new rifle part? If so, that would be the route I would go. Many times the factory nipples and such are not the best quality..

Another option is call traditions rifle company. I have talked to their technicians in the past and they have been most helpful. I had to send one rifle back to them years ago, because of an igniton problem and they fixed it for free.

Traditions are not a top of the line rifle but they do function, and in most cases function very well. I have a friend who shoots a traditons inline (I am not sure of the model) and it is an excellent shooting rifle. The trigger could be better but the rifle was a little over $120.00 many years ago, so I would not expect an Encore of Knight Disc for that kind of money....
Old 11-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would pay the necessary $14-$16 shipping to T/C Inc & have them fix the rifle. The cost of a gunsmith will likely be in excess of that -- plus that's not including the cost of a new breechplug.

The breechplug is obviously defective. Proof of that lies on the Traditions website. THEY KEEP RUNNING OUT OF BREECHPLUGS... so that makes it quite obvious that this problem is rampant/happening to alot of ML folks with similar/same rifle.