HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Lyman or traditions?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/76682-lyman-traditions.html)

willyqbc 10-21-2004 11:14 PM

Lyman or traditions??

Being somewhat of a newbie to muzzleloaders, I'm looking for an opinion on 3 rifles I am looking at. They are the Tradition hawken woodsman, the Lyman deerstalker, and the Lyman trade rifle. All would be new and in 50 cal. Seeing as they are all right around the same price, what would you consider to be the highest quality of the 3?? I know there are obviously better quality rifles out there but these are in my price range. Any other suggestions in this price range are welcome ( must be percussion, no inlines) Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

cayugad 10-22-2004 12:01 AM

RE: Lyman or traditions??

I have a Tradition's Hawkin Woodsman... in .50 caliber with the 1-66 twist (which is no longer made I believe) and it is a great looking and great shooting rifle without a doubt. But.... I think the Lyman Trade Rifle is a better made rifle. I have read some reports of the Lyman Trade rifle and they are excellent shooters. The Lyman Deerstalker I would not get too concerned about when I had a Trade Rifle to choose from.

One point I will give to Traditions is they have a good customer service. I only had to use them once for a very minor thing, but they were right there. I have never heard about the customer service for Lyman so I will not comment. The Cabela's Hawkins is the same as the Lyman Trade rifle for the most part.

Since your set on a sidelock which is fine, you might want to consider a .54 caliber over a .50 caliber. The reason is the rifle is not as heavy, and the roundball from a .54 is an excellent hunting and target shooting projectile. The .54 caliber is much preferred for big game such as elk or moose over the .50 caliber in sidelock. Also they have a little more knock down at longer ranges.....

papellet 10-22-2004 06:32 AM

I own both the Traditions hawkens woodsman and the Lyman deerstalker, as well as a Lyman GPR, all in 50 cal. The Lymans, IMO, are of much higher quality than the Traditions. I do like the Tradtions as its a great shooter, but I have had some issues with quality. I have had to get the lock plate replaced when the rifle was relatively new. I had a local BP guy machine a part, as a replacement would have probably broke as well.

keyshunter 10-22-2004 08:19 AM

Either of the Lymans would be my choice. Lyman quality is far better than Traditions.

Triple Se7en 10-22-2004 09:09 AM

What type-bulets are you planning on using Will? If it's roundballs, you need to add the Traditions Kentucky with it's 1-66" twist to the mix.

willyqbc 10-22-2004 10:00 AM

Thanks for the replies so far! As far as what bullets I'm going to shoot, I'm going to buy some round balls and some Buffalo ball-ets and experiment with both with different charges to see what I get shooting the best. Would be nice if the ball-ets shoot well as they do not need a patch and would probably be a little quicker to re-load in hunting situations where a quick follow up may be required. Anyone ever shot these ball-ets? And how were you're results?

Chris

papellet 10-22-2004 12:25 PM

The buffalo Ball-ets work great in both the hawkens and deerstalker. They are my bullet of choice for the reasons you mentioned. I use both the 240 grain roundnose and the 275 grain hollowpoint. I prefer the 240 grain bullet. I just killed a deer here in PA with said bullet and 75 grains pyrodex, with the traditions. The deer was maybe 40 yards away and dropped in her tracks.

Triple Se7en 10-22-2004 12:32 PM

Willy,

Both roundballs & Ballets shoot better at 100 yards in my 1-70" twist T/C Renegade and my 1-66" twist Traditions Shenandoah than they do in my 1-48" twist rifles. The models you picked out are all 1-48" which shoot medium & heavier-weight conicals well -- but a majority of 48s only shoot roundballs & ballets well 50-75 yards. So you need to find out how far your shots are going to be.

The Lyman Deerhunter has always been one of my favorite sidelocks in the $210 range. It also shoots a variety of sabot/bullets well too... which the 1-66" twist won't. Here's a link for the optional 1-66" I suggested you consider also.

Tradtions Kentucky Long Rifle 1-66" twist

HighDesertWolf 10-22-2004 06:10 PM

Lyman hands down, dont even bother with that made in spain junk.

livbucks 10-22-2004 08:18 PM

Lyman hands down, dont even bother with that made in spain junk.
OUCH! I have a Traditions PA Pellet that has performed excellent and is a very well made gun. :(

I agree that Lyman is probably better though:)