Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 It's Really Fun Playing Catchup ;Part Two!!! >

It's Really Fun Playing Catchup ;Part Two!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It's Really Fun Playing Catchup ;Part Two!!!

Old 11-02-2004, 06:38 PM

Default It's Really Fun Playing Catchup ;Part Two!!!

Got out again this morning.as soon as it got good light,I broke out the old rattling horns and did a set. after about 5 min. I did a second set.about 30 to 45 sec. I hear foot steps in the leaver.I see horns and a nose going up and down,a head going from side to side,looking hard my way.
He came in looking to about 50 yards and stopped,I took a shot that was , me leaning out to see around a tree.as soon as I fired,I knew it was off a little.he left with tail down.after a few min. I trailed him about 150 yards and jumped him.I pulled out and went to the truck.got feed for the feeder and filled it and went back and trailed him another 100 yards and jumped him again.
went to the truck and got the wife.we went back,and you quessed it jumped him again.

I told the wife we were going home and give him an hr.so we did , I took my dog so I wouldn't have to trail the blood. after about another 100 yards we found him laying cow fashion.then we had a long drag.all the time he was going away from the truck.

he was a nice 4 pt.a lot bigger than the 8 pt.he was nice and fat.
I love to play catchup ; don't you.[8D]

by the way , the shot was a little low and a little far back.[&o]. sorry!! I guess it happens to us all sooner or later.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: It's Really Fun Playing Catchup ;Part Two!!!

Congratulations on the deer. At least you had the willingness to stick with the trailing job and find the deer. Sometimes we do not hit exactly where we wanted. The thing about a muzzleloader is they normally do a lot of internal damage to the animal. Again, congratulations....
Old 11-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

way to go tc, good luck the rest of the season
Old 11-03-2004, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your bucks!!!! I see you rattled him in, my personal favorite...good job! What stage of rut are they in Fla?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:14 AM

skeeter ; right now they are really making scraps and there necks are really big. starting to run the girls.about the 2nd. week orf Nov should be really hot.[8D]
Old 11-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very good TC, best of luck in the rest of your season and keep tinkling them horns.

Scrapes and rubs are everywhere up here the past few weeks they are really putting sign down, smaller bucks are still bached so I expect the rut to happen around the norm time - 15th or so. I did rattle out a few smaller ones last weekend in the farmland but nothing that looked ready in the neck yet!!

Hopefully next weekend, with the temp expected to drop and some white stuff forecasted, I'll be able to find some late pre rut success rattling the forest fringe areas. ML season is over so I will be toting the 7 mag in lieu of my 50 cal.