Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzleloading Mishap Results In Injury >

Muzzleloading Mishap Results In Injury

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloading Mishap Results In Injury

Old 10-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Muzzleloading Mishap Results In Injury

Around 6-8 weeks ago, a BPI Winchester barrel ruptured, now.....

.... A BPI CVA BARREL COMES UNGLUED
Old 10-06-2004, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Muzzleloading Mishap Results In Injury

Do you think that the reason he can't find the breech plug is because he forgot to install it , in the first place?
Just a thought.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

livbucks

Not possible without a primer stricker back-drop.

I'm not familiar with the Eclipse action either. I really don't know if the rifle can be fired with a half-way or largely-loosened breechplug. If the plug was not secured enough, it could come unglued with 100 grains of powder... easily!

I do know that with my Omega breechplug, it needs around 15-20 revolutionary turns to tighten. If I back it off more than one revolutionary turn, I cannot close the firing pin door to set the trigger. That is a real nice safety feature ... for sure!
Old 10-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I obviously have no experience with inline ML guns. Who knows what happened, weird things happen. Some manufacturing defect probably.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

or a double load
Old 10-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

My CVA Staghorn is a lot like the Eclipse. If he had not seated the breech plug all the way to the bottom finger tight, the rifle could still fire because of the striker action of the gun. One thing I have noticed that I always make sure and clean are the thread both on the breech plug and in the rifle. I also keep a real close eye on them. The last thing I want them doing is filling with crud and becoming less and less able to hold that breech plug where it belongs.

100 grains of pellets would be an acceptable load in the rifle. It should not have blown. Keep us posted on anything you hear....
Old 10-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

terrible accident, i'm sure glad this guy is still with us. something someone else mentioned is the condition of the threads, imo the breech plug should be replaced at some point maybe even the barrel, threads that are put together and taken apart wear and will eventually become non-functional even though you can still tighten it down the threads are still worn out.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks Do you think that the reason he can't find the breech plug is because he forgot to install it , in the first place?Just a thought.

No doubt he fired the thing with a strike-anywhere match!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: livbucks Do you think that the reason he can't find the breech plug is because he forgot to install it , in the first place?Just a thought.

No doubt he fired the thing with a strike-anywhere match!

Hey! I said later that I didn't know anything about inlines, so quit pickin on me. I goofed....let it go..
Old 10-12-2004, 10:33 AM

After cleaning my eclipse for the first time this weekend , the gun will fire even if the breech plug is not fully in. The 209 primer seat is on the back of the plug. I also noticed in the manual it states in BIG red type, make sure you lube the threads after taking out the plug. I also had a an issue with making sure the plug was fully in , the tool they give you to remove the plug isnt the greatest , but it works. It doesnt fully engage the threads unless its perfectly level. READ THE MANUAL the comes with your ML !