Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Power Belts vs Sabots >

Power Belts vs Sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Power Belts vs Sabots

Old 09-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Power Belts vs Sabots

Any thoughts on what is the better product for hunting deer when shot through an Omega?
Old 09-07-2004, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Power Belts vs Sabots

If an accurate load can be worked up, both of them will do the job. Powerbelts do not like lots of powder behind them. At least I find that true in my three inlines. Keep the charge around 100 grains that they are very accurate.

Sabots in the Omega (like the Black Diamond XR I own) can be pushed a little harder. The thing you need to remember is instead of pushing a full .50 caliber projectile, you have reduced that to a .45 or even .44 caliber projectile. Depending on the bullet design, I have found it influences the long range abilities of the bullet. I have not had a chance to actually hunt with powerbelts or sabots. I have only seen the results from some of the performance tests I have conducted with the two.

Also from the posts I have read, powerbelts seem to be real effective in knock down according to one poster and the next is not happy. It seems some of the hollow point designs do not get complete pass through and therefore they lack in a blood trail should the animal run off. The same is true in some of the posts I have read on different sabots.

I suggest you get some Thompson Center 250 grain Shockwaves and shoot them at 100-120 grain of FFg propellants. Conduct your own tests to see how well they act for you. Do the same with some 295 & 348 powerbelts and shoot them around 100 grains. Accuracy is the main objective with any projectile. What good is a bullet that expands to twice its size if it can not be shot accurately....

Good luck with your rifle.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know if its my muzzleloaders but the powerbelts seem much easier to load than the sabots. But I too am going to give those T/C shock waves a try.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any thoughts on what is the better product (Powerbelts or Sabots) for hunting deer when shot through an Omega?
===========================================

Sabots in most Omegas.... 180-370 grains. The optimum size is 250 grains.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:13 PM

There is a whole 'nother post about powerbelts and TC sabots. I wouldn't be comfortable loading them in the field, in my gun. It seems that rifle manufacturers have different ideas about what 50 cal means regarding barrel sizes. Powerbelts load easily.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:30 PM
bigcountry

Powerbelts can be accurate with low power loads. Like 85gr of pyrdex. But I like a more dynamic combo than that. So I pick the barnes expander. Its very tight fitting, but this makes the sabot'd bullet be able to handle 120-150gr loads. But still be accurate at 95gr of pyrodex. If you can't get the job done with a 300gr barnes or 300gr XTP moving at 1950fps, nothing can. Fairly devastating.