Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pioneer Powder

Old 08-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pioneer Powder

I wonder why there is not more interest in Pioneer Powder... It seems to be a quality competitor to Triple 7.
==============================================

Either you have disregarded what was mentioned in the 1st page of this thread, or you also live/hunt in a dry area of our country.

It's not advisable to use AP in sidelocks
It's not advisable to use AP in bad weather
It's not advisable to expect 777 fps results.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Cayugad

Your Clean Shot loaded bore needs to remain outdoors with moisture surroundings in order to witness it's lessening/hangfire effects along with dripping/droplets of powder when the muzzle is pointed downwards after hunting in wet conditions.

My tests were conducted/proven with it's sister (American Pioneer) last fall. I left the two front doors of my pickup open with the tightly-capped powder on the rain-protected front seat for a few hours along with subjecting it to a couple of mild (25 degree) temperature changes moving it from auto to trailer... back to auto. That's all it took to create a non-working environment.
I used it in the Adirondacks a year ago, where it rained every day for a week while I was there. I put a band of plastic wrap over the muzzle, and a wrap around the (side) lock section also. Unfortunately, I got no shot at game that week. But when leaving, I fired the load that had been in the barrel all week (gun left in the truck at night with the cap removed from the nipple). It fired perfectly. IMO, if proper precautions are taken, the same as would be necessary to keep black powder dry, it will serve as well as BP or Pyrodex. Maybe not as well as T7. I haven't hunted with T7.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:40 AM

You can use Clean shot out of a flint lock rifle. I know I have, but the last 10 or 15 grains you need to mix in either 2 or 4 f black powder. I had some ignition problems since the powder was very course and created gaps.

Tom
Old 08-30-2004, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elde

A typical rain in elevated plains will not bring humidity to the extended level a perpendicular or lower plain will. Also, most hunters don't waterproof the bore to the extent you did. Also again... blackpowder is far-less hydroscopic than AP.... the AP adminsitrators admit it every time they ship a jug of it -- that says on the front "Extended Shelf Life". Ask any BP/ML guru what he would prefer on a 98% humidity hunting day.... it'll be real black coming out his mouth in a New York heartbeat.

AP has been tested not only be myself - an express ML junkie with no credentials or guru status, the likes of Toby Bridges, Randy Wakeman -- noted posters like Underclocked, Maxiball & the list goes on. What I express about AP is kind & gentle compared to what some of them other names say about it.

The stuff works just fine if you can waterproof it or move to Nevada-type weather.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

Triple seven,

I live in central Ohio... a place known for high humidity and I have had no problem with the AP... As for the results... Why shouldn't I expect similar results between Triple Seven and AP. With my limited knowledge the only complaint I can see is that AP has had some issues with humidity, and those seem to be highly debated. I don't think there is any debate to the fact that AP is much cleaner than Triple Seven... Does this sound right?
Old 08-31-2004, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always use a plastic wrap (OR CONDOM!!) over the muzzle of a ML when hunting, and, it the weathere is humid or rain threatens, I also wrap the lock/nipple area with plastic wrap, regardless of the kind of powder being used. Mis fires ARE preventable; but my issue with AP/Clean Shot is the absorption of atmospheric humidity over time which degrades the ballistic proiperties of the powder. lowering MV and adversely affecting accuracy. IMO, when you find lumps in the powder, iti is well on its' way to needing to be dumped!!

2 shots @ 100 yards, 370- grain .50 Maxie Ball, 1/72" twist, 130 grains Austin C&H Musket powder; and 2 shots @ 100 yards, 230-grain .45 Maxie Ball, 1/72" twist, 100 grains Austin C&H Musket powder.