Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 what is everyone's between shot cleaning sequence for best accuracy results??? >

what is everyone's between shot cleaning sequence for best accuracy results???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what is everyone's between shot cleaning sequence for best accuracy results???

Old 08-21-2004, 04:07 PM

Default what is everyone's between shot cleaning sequence for best accuracy results???

what have you found to work for the best accuracy in your between shot cleaning sequence
Old 08-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: what is everyone's between shot cleaning sequence for best accuracy results???

After I fire my shot on the target range I take a cotton patch and wet it with a mixture of 50% alcohol (isopropyl or denatured) and 50% car windshield washer fluid. I then work the wetted patch in short strokes to avoid getting the patch stuck back and forth in the barrel, taking longer and longer strokes. I finally have it down to the breech where I clean it as best as possible. I then pull the patch and reverse it. I then push the other side of the patch all the way down and back up a few times.

If I am going to walk to the target and check my shot I do not run a dry patch down and back in the barrel unless I have serious doubts about it being wet. If I want to reload right away, then I will run two dry patches through the barrel, making sure it is nice and dry before reloading.

After the 10th shot, I swab the barrel with some pre-soaked Rusty Duck black powder solvent patches. I bought them at Wal Mart and am real impressed with the way they pull fowling out of the barrel. Then a couple dry ones. If I have doubts then I break the rifle down and field clean it....
Old 08-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what is everyone's between shot cleaning sequence for best accuracy results???

Almost identical to poster Cayugad's methods above. Only I substitute his windshield solution for 50%Windex with ammonia /50% Rubbing Alcohol. I always swab after every 2nd shot -- always using a bore brush. I use two ramrods... one for loading the bullet with a jag... one for swabbing with a brush. Get yourself a small spray bottle at your nearest Dollar Store. Usually around the cash register are small automobile scent sprays. I pour out the scent -- rinse good -- then fill with my 50-50 mix.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

When shooting my ruger,knight and encore I just lick a patch jog it down and out ,turn it over run it down and out and ready to shoot again.I use pyrodex-select
Old 08-22-2004, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I run a dry bore snake through the barrel every 5-10 shots ,when loading gets tough
Old 08-22-2004, 09:09 AM

two spit patches followed by a dry patch every two shots. i think it lets the barrel cool a little more.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:50 AM

I shoot twice, then run a wet patch with cleaning solution down, followed by a couple dry patches, let sit for a few minutes.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:58 AM

When using Goex FFFg and natural lube 1000 prelubed pillow ticking, I shoot my 40-shot range sessions without stopping/wiping between shots.

When using Goex FFg with just the prelubed pillow ticking, I stop three times at 10, 20, and 30 shots to wipe the bore as FFg does leave a little more fouling than FFFg.

However, if I also use oxyoke wonderwads with the FFg, I don't have to wipe between shots at all...but they're a little pricey just for target practice, so I just use the pillow ticking and wipe every 10 shots.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:25 AM

Well, my sequence for between shot cleaning is for an inline shooting saboted bullets with Triple 7 ffg. I swab between EVERY shot. I run 1 patch dampened with Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine down the barrel with ever lengthening strokes until I reach the breech plug. Then I turn the patch over and run it in and out one last time. Then I take a dry patch and run it down the barrel using both sides of the patch. This has worked the best out of any products or techniques that I have personally tried.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:15 AM
bigcountry

Guys, what is the idea of using windex and ammonia? Does ammonia do something for the plastic or powder residue? I have heard this for over a decade, but decided spit or No. 13 works for me. Just curious how this concoction came about. I pitted a barrel with ammonia before. Basically, I had ammonia based cleaner in my barrel and they called a cease fire. I couldn't touch the gun. I just packed up and drove home. Well 1/2 hour later, it was rusted. This was CR10. I am sure the windex concocion is not nearly as powerful as CR10.

Quick Reply: what is everyone's between shot cleaning sequence for best accuracy results???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.