HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Beginner Inline Muzzleloading Advice. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/69726-beginner-inline-muzzleloading-advice.html)

rc1988 08-20-2004 12:01 PM

Beginner Inline Muzzleloading Advice.

I shot my buddies inline yesterday. It was a CVA Staghorn. I dont think they make them anymore but i really liked it. I think its called a buckhorn now. Anyway i want to get into inline shooting but i am so confused. I am just confused by the whole thing. He said you can get a CVA rifle with scope and all that other stuff you need in a package at cabelas. Sorry i sound so igonorant on this topic, i just shot rifle and bow. How are these package CVAs with all you need. I think they are $180. Is it worth to get that or i saw a really nice Knight Disk Extreme with laminated stock and stainless barrel. I am leaning toward the Cva because i dont have a lot of money. Also, is it hard to break down these kinds of rifles for cleaning? Im not good dealing with little parts and such. Also do you have to "Break in" the barrels as its reccomend for rifles? Thanks for comments!

Mark whiz 08-20-2004 08:21 PM

RE: Beginner Inline Muzzleloading Advice.

For starting out, the CVA kit is probably a good choice. Another option would be to see if you could get a Knight USAK or Wolverine kit. They'll run about the same amount and I think they are a better base gun than most of the "beginner" CVAs. I bought the USAK kit 3 years and have never looked back - it is a great shootin' rifle. :)

You could go with the Disc Extreme....................it's a NICE gun................but overpriced for my tastes.

In-lines are probably the easiest rifles there are to breakdown & clean that's one major reason why chose an in-line for my 1st muzzleloader.

I DO recommend some barrel break-in for these rifles. It can be done one of 2 ways. Either go shoot 20 or more patched round balls or lead conical bullets OR just get some J-Bs bore paste and work 6 or so patches of it thru the bore according to directions.

Hope this helps.

cayugad 08-20-2004 08:56 PM

Natchez.com happens to have a CVA Staghorn Magnum .50 caliber CVA Staghorn Magnum on special right now for $99.95. They also have an American Knight Value Pack Knight American Value Pack for $109.95 I believe it was. Both are great rifles and would be an excellent value.

I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum and I agree, they are a great shooting rifle. Throw a nice Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn scope on it and your set for anything. I also have a Knight Wolverine II which is a lot like the American Knight. I was shooting this today and holding a 3.5 inch group with the open sights at 100 yards. It would have been a tighter group but I had a flyer with my handcasted homemade bullets. they were 405 grain flat nose .458 on 80 grains of FFg.

Good luck. Hope the links helped.

HighDesertWolf 08-21-2004 01:41 AM

It was a CVA Staghorn. I dont think they make them anymore
hehe!!! looks like they change the name just so they could raise the price 20 dollars. the staghorn you could get for $99.99 from cabelas, now the buckhorn is 119.99.
I would say just spend the extra 30 bucks and get the hunterbolt mag its alot easier to disassemble and clean.

Tree climber 08-21-2004 06:23 AM

Bass_Pro has the CVA package with everything except powder for $199.00. that is the mag-bolt 150,I have two of them.one for me and one for my wife.we love the ones we got.

they are good guns for the$$$$$$$. we have taken deer and hogs with no problem out to 130 yards. we both shoot the 45 cal.

just get to the range and shoot as much as possible to get the gun the way you like and get use to shooting and loading.

Good Luck

Hidden Hunter 08-21-2004 09:00 AM

RC, If it was me, and your Heart is set on a Knight Offering, I would get the Elite ! It's the Most Accurate ML in Knights Line Up, and Probally could be the Most Accurate ML, out their Period. Your Milage may Vary ! JMO.

catpool9 08-25-2004 08:11 PM

Well this is my first post on this board, hope not to offend or disrespect anyone in anyway. I think you shouldn't skimp out on buying a "cheap" inline ML, if you do? well next year you'll have quit muzzle loading or you'll be looking for an "up grade" so there goes $$$$$ down the drain!
Black powder hunting can be one of the best hunts that there is , as long as you got a gun you really like!
Get you an Omega\Thompson Center\,Knight, or a Remington Inline, 50 cal. you'll be glad you did!
What's another $100.00 or so when your really getting what you wanted in the first place!

good luck! hope you get the gun your looking for!

sabotloader 08-25-2004 10:05 PM

Awful hard to beat this price -

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

While the Staghorn for the price is a good shooting gun - I am not sure you would want to jump into the Hunter Bolt or the Magbolt - I think they have some real accuracy concerns.

The Remington would be a gun that would fulfil all of you needs and it is well built. It is not a low end gun and it not a high end, but it truly is stainless steel not Nickel. The one thing that is somewhat suspect is the 209 ignition system, but that can be changed. #11 caps or Musket work great.

catpool9 08-25-2004 10:57 PM

P.S>>>>>Beginner Inline Muzzleloading Advice
Know matter what Muzzle Loader you finally buy, you do need to break them in some what like a rifle.
I suggest you load and shoot no more than 2 (twice ) between cleaning for the first 20 shots at least! (be sure you remove and clean your breech plug also between cleanings) I use TC bore solvent to clean , apply just a dab of TC Natural Lube Bore Butter on the breech plug to keep it from seizing up on you(or it will become hard , or almost impossible to remove breech plug) not to much or will obscure flash hole!
And use "lead conical bullets for break-in" (for 50cal. .....TC\370 maxi-balls....)
Start with 90gr. Pyrodex to start with for break in, 20-30 shots!
I know its time consuming, but if you want your Muzzle Loader to shoot accurate for a life time! "its well worth it!"
Then if you opt. you may shoot Sabot's , but will require even more cleaning because there copper jacketed.
I personally shoot TC\370 maxi-balls, 115grs. Pyrodex.....
Kick's like a Mule! but to each his own!

boysda 08-26-2004 08:36 AM

great advice from mark whiz. i have a cva magbolt. easy cleanup, have hard time getting groupd tighter than 4" at 100. i do like the rifle.

you don't say where you're from, but check the regs in your state. In pa, we can only use inlines in the october season (1 week) but you can use a flintlock in both october AND the late season january (about 3 weeks). if you live in PA and can only afford one this year, get the flint.