HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Traditions Muzzleloader (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/69452-traditions-muzzleloader.html)

LeeinVa1 08-17-2004 11:30 PM

Traditions Muzzleloader

I just purchased a 50 cal. traditions BP muzzleloader. other then the fact it was made in spain, anyone out there have one or used one, breaks down in the middle like a single shot shotgun, uses 209 primers, looks like it would be easy to clean.

Striper Phil 08-18-2004 04:22 AM

RE: Traditions Muzzleloader

I have four Traditions, Evolution, Champion 2000 thumb hole, Pennsylvanian and a Trapper pistol flinter. All have served well

You diddn't say which one you got but I expect it is in the Persuit line. They look sweet. Would like one myself but I just got into BP 2 years ago and a new one every six months is wearing on the misses. I'm leaning toward the Flinters now anyway.

Tomster 08-18-2004 07:50 AM

I have the Traditions Deerhunter 50 cal and it's now a sweet shooting rifle.

The only problem I have was with the sights, the light optics stink. I switched to the Tru-glow sights and they are awsome. I have killed several deer with it, at least one a year since I bought it in 2001.

Have fun sighting it in.

Tom

cayugad 08-18-2004 11:55 AM

Is this the new Persuit your talking about? I don't have one but it sure looks like a nice gun. Just stick to the owners manual. 100 grain loads are usually most accurate out of most of the magnum inline even though they claim they can shoot 150 grain charges.

Try some of the Thompson Center pre-packaged bullet sabot combinations. They tend to shoot well out of most guns with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. Or you can get into some of the Hornady XTP's. Powerbelts are also another option. There are a lot of them out there to try. All guns are different it seems so you just have to shoot them to find what they like best.

For breaking in the new barrel get some round ball and patch material and shoot about 50 patched round ball with 70 grains of powder through it. That should knock all the ruff spots out of it for you....

good luck with your new rifle.

Stainless 08-18-2004 06:05 PM

Hey LeeinVa1, do you have a problem snapping the barrel back into place with the 209 primer in it? I bought one recently and I really had to slam it to get it to lock. Everytime I would do this it would leave an indention in the primer, maybe a half moon. Then when I would unsnap it I would really have to push up on the barrel to get the trigger to release. It worked fine with out a primer in it but with one in it, it was really tight. Anyways I took it back because I wasn't compfortable with it that way.

LeeinVa1 08-18-2004 09:37 PM

Just placed a 209 primer in the gun and did not have a problem with it. by the way it is the pursuit LT model. hung a scope on it, dying to get it to the range. only problem i see so far is the trigger pull, seems a little strong to me. was hoping that mygirlfriend could use it, but she might have to use two fingers. also looks like that ramrod is just a little too short, but i can work around that.

cayugad 08-18-2004 11:05 PM

I have not looked close at your rifle but many times there is a small screw near the trigger or a way in which you can lighten the trigger pull to a respectable level. A hard trigger will really make it frustrating when shooting your rifle sighting it in. It creates more of a tendency to pull your shot.

Look in your manual that came with the rifle and see if there is not an adjustment screw. If not, give traditions a call. Sometimes all it takes is to pull the trigger assembly and clean and oil it real good.

Stainless 08-19-2004 04:33 AM

Well I feel better about bringing mine back then. I knew that didn't feel right. I think I'm going to go with the CVA Optima now.

LeeinVa1 08-19-2004 04:36 AM

Just checked the gun again, in order to get to the trigger assembly you have to remove the buttplate, then buried deep within the stock is a hex head bolt that i can't reach right now. Traditions makes it pretty clear that if you remove any pins to the assembly that it will void the warrenty, guess i will just have to wear it in.

RustyOlRanger4x4 08-20-2004 11:33 AM

I have a traditions lightning had it about 4-5 years now and its been a great gun