Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions Muzzleloader >

Traditions Muzzleloader

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Muzzleloader

Old 08-21-2004, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Traditions Muzzleloader

LeeinVa1,

I also have the Pursuit LT, got it about 6 weeks ago. The trigger pull was terrible on mine. I contacted Traditions and they said to send it to them, but I requested an enlarged schematic of the rifle so I could clearly see the parts. Even though I know it voids the warranty to take the trigger mech. down I did it and worked on the trigger, I told them I was going to do it and that I didn't care about the warranty.

Anyway, if you take a flashlight and look into the stock, you'll realize that is not a hex head bolt, it's round and requires a special socket. What I did was to take a 1/4 drive deep socket, long extension, rachet, and a flat screwdriver apex. You would have to pick the apex that will go into the bolt head (slightly), but will not go deep enough to grap the bolt from the inside of the head. Without the rachet on the extension, I took a plastic mallet and tapped the extension driving the flat apex in til it would hold, then put the rachet on and took the stock bolt out. I took the hammer and trigger out and used emory paper to sand both, I did this only a little. I put it back together and still wasn't satisfied. Did it again and this time I made a good shooting rifle out of it. You have to test it and be extremely careful, you wouldn't want to sand it to much.

When I first shot it at my 100 yard target I couldn't get the bullets to hit a 6 inch bullseye, I now can hit a 2 inch target consistently at 100 yards. I have a homemade bench and could probably shoot smaller groups if I had a store bought gun vise/bench.

dog1
Old 08-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Pursuit LT also. I have not had time to shoot it yet but as time allows I will try to get back with results. I also have a T/C Omega (both rifles are .50cal). I am an Elk hunter and managed to get drawn for ML Elk again this year. My brother-in-law is going with me and using the Pursuit after I get it sorted out. I am planning on starting load of two Pyrodex pellets and 300gr. Hornady SST bullet/sabot. Trying to make it simple for the Brother-in-law as he is a starting ML shooter. I have converted my Omega to the .25cal. breechplug and may consider the same conversion for the Pursuit as I am pleased with the results in the Omega.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

I checked my trigger as I just received my Pursuit LT. It was way off the map. I would guess it was over 10 pounds. Two or three attempts to pull the trigger made my finger sore. I checked with Traditions and they suggested I return it to them for improvement. I do not have the time; so I found that the tool that works to remove the stock is a Torx bit TX40. It is not the special bit they use but it is almost a perfect fit. If you have not done an action job on a revolver I would not recommend you try this. I stoned the sear area lightly on the hammer notch and very lightly on the trigger engaging lip. I also added a small amount of special grease I make for the firearm guys (trade name "Slide Glide") and reassembled. It is now a decent trigger pull. Not as good as my Omega but acceptable and will probably wear in a little better. As mentioned before Traditions will not stand behind this work done by owners so proceed at your own risk.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too bought a Traditions and found the trigger actually painful to pull, that's how hard it was. Lucky for me I got some good advice from this board and got it resolved at home. Probably not the same mechanism as your gun but check this link to read the thread, for anyone else that may be interested.
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=696967