Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA MagBolt .45 opinions >

CVA MagBolt .45 opinions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA MagBolt .45 opinions

Old 08-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default CVA MagBolt .45 opinions

Hey everyone I just ordered a CVA Magbolt outa Bass Pro Shops catalog for $149, it is my first inline, so I was wondering if anyone else had it and what the good bad and the ugly was on the rifle. It has a 26'' barrel in mossy oak break up with a nickle barrel, soo atleast it will hopefully look nice on my gun rack.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: CVA MagBolt .45 opinions

I just ordered the same ML. I'll let you know what I think after I get it sited in. Seems like a great buy.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

951 Hunter:
Mine should be here next Tuesday or soo they said. I will let you know how I like mine, this will be my first inline, so I am going to try a lot of experimenting with it. Are you going to shoot yours with open sights? I am thinking of putting a Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7 or a Bushnell Legend 2-7 scope on it.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:06 PM
Dominant Buck

That sounds like it will be a nice shooting system. Most CVA rifles do very well with the powerbelts and 100 grains of powder. Putting more powder then that in them often times send the powerbelts out of true flight and accuracy suffers a great deal.

I was looking at a CVA .45 caliber Staghorn Magnum. For the money, it might be a lot of fun. You don't by chance know the diameter of the bore do you on your Magbolt?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Unfortunatly I don't know the diameter on it. I was planning on trying the powerbelts in 200 grains or soo to start with since I had wonderful results with them outa lyman deerstalker, and have heard only positive things. I will let you know how it shoots when i get it, I figured for the money it wouldn't be a terrible inline to start on.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion the magbolt is a fine introductin rifle and is still good enough even for experienced muzzle loaders wanting a inline. But I would forget the 45 caliber and go with a 50 caliber. Since with muzzle loading you are proabaly not gonna shoot any further then 150 yards and its a one shot deal and you need all the punch you can get from your bullet to anchor that deer or elk or whatever you are hunting.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Spike

i've had the .45 cal. magbolt for 2 years. mine likes 2 50g pyrodex pellets and 215g powerbelts, will group about 2-3" at 100 yards with good rest.would probably do better with some experimenting but thats as good as this guy can shoot anyways.mine came from bps with a bushnell 3-9x bp scope. shot 1 good sized doe through both lungs last year at about 60 yards. she went about 30 yards and piled up in a heap.bought an optima 45 for this season and it's a real shooter too.gonna try 777 pellets and see how they work. anybody out there shooting them ?what kind of results?good luck with the magbolt.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Spike

whoops . that post should say 225 gr. powerbelt.also according to ballistics chart that is in powerbelt box the 45cal 225gr. actually has more energy at 150 yards than the 50 cal. 348 gr. and is still about 250 fps faster (1488) so there isn't really more punch as a previous post said.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

I have one that I bought from Bass Pro put a 3x9x40 bushnell banner scope on it. It is a sweet ml I use 2 50gr 777 pellets and 295gr power belt bullets its right on at 100 yds. I Love mine
Old 08-21-2004, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

according to ballistics chart that is in powerbelt box the 45cal 225gr. actually has more energy at 150 yards than the 50 cal. 348 gr. and is still about 250 fps faster (1488) so there isn't really more punch as a previous post said.
I just love arm chair ballistics experts....... actually the Ft lbs or energy does not matter your 225 grain bullet can have more retained energy then a 350 grain 50 cal but i guarentee in the field that 50 caliber will have better knock down performance then your 225 grain 45 cal the 50 cal is 125 grains more lead when it come to big bores you cant replace mass with velocity just ask the experts. Besides how much of that retained energy from your 45 cal is transfered to a deer before it exits with my 50 cal at 100 yards never penetrates all the way through and exits the animal, in that case all of my retained energy is utilized in knocking that deer down. you mentioned you double lunged your deer and it ran 30 yards before it quit. every deer I have shot with my 50 have never taken more then 2 steps before they just fold up and fall. My last one I shot last year was a 215 lbs buck in northern missouri I blasted him in the left shoulder at about 100 yards he dropped right there like someone took his battery out. when I was skinning him I found the bullet lodged in between two ribs just below the skin on his right side. When I pulled his guts the heart was nicked and both lungs gone and nicked a piece of the liver. The only complaint i have with powerbelt bullets is they dont expand very well so the bigger caliber help severly.

Quick Reply: CVA MagBolt .45 opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.