Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting? >

What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting?

Old 08-10-2004, 06:00 AM

Default What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting?

Come on share your stories....we all make mistakes and learn from them. Let's learn from each other...

One time while at the range, I was so eastatic about my shots I loaded a round ball and patch in my Deerhunter without putting in the powder first. I had to use my ball puller to remove that one.

One time while hunting in the snow with a friend, sitting under a hemlock tree, I dropped my Deerhunter in the snow. Now if that big one had walked by, I would have just laughed at it. My pan powder was so wet and I did not carry a pick with me then so that was it for me.

T
Old 08-10-2004, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting?

I was trying to slide the rear sight back, it wouldn't go. I gave it a heave and it slid off and I smashed my fingers against the frizzen and jambed it against the flint (made sparks). Good thing there was no load in the barrel. I can see how accidents can happen now.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting?

hmmmm im not perfect at all......and out of all people i should ahve many stories......but i dont.......only been flinting a year though...im always very careful when using that gun.......
Old 08-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Dominant Buck

The dumbest thing I ever did was loaned one of my rifles to a friend that wanted to give the muzzleloader season a try. When it came back I was not happy about having to clean up his mess. Also the **^^## changed the sights on me....

Some of the other things I did was of course loaded a ball without powder. I always take the nipple out pack it with some FFFg and shoot the devil out.

I was hunting one afternoon when I noticed the Peep sight on my Renegade was all the way over to the left. Seems the adjustment screw came loose and so the sight moved. Good thing I always mark on the sight where it is supposed to be. I moved it back, tightened it down and continued hunting. When I checked it later, it was right on....

Also broke a wooden ramrod once that when it broke it decided to attack the palm of my hand. Talk about hurt.....

These rifles are a learning experience each time we take them out....
Old 08-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Spike

A few years ago after a early morning rain,came back to the farm shot off the load cleaned the Kight.After I cleaned it put in a charge.Put it in the shop for the evening hunt.Later when I picked up the 50 cal outside the house in the front yard I figured I would put a cap on it clear the nipple then load it up. I forgot I had already loaded it.The dog was sitting next to me watching what is was doing I pointed it to the ground to see if a blade of grass moved well it did the 90grs fff clear a patch of grass and the dog took off running turned around looked at me as to say you dumb A@%.No injury just a lesson learned.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

i heard about wooden rods breaking.......i love the look of them.....but dont want that to happen...and i know at times i can feel my alumanum rod under alot of stress...i dont need a wooden rod coming through my hand.....that would REALLY hurt....i know i push pretty dang hard at times....and thats when it would probably break.....ouch!!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quite a few years ago, I was using a climber to get into position for an afternoon hunt. I always pull my gun up with a rope, after the stand is situated. Well, I got into position, and checked the field in front of me, to see a nice buck working down the edge toward my stand. This will be easy I thought, I'll just pull up the gun and whammo. Well it was then that I figured out I had not clipped the end of the rope to the gun. Mr buck came on past and I had to watch him freshen the scrape that was 40 yds away. He moved on, and I got down on the ground. This time I clipped the rope on. I got up about 2/3 of the way and turned to look back toward the scrape, caught movement, and what do you know, Mr. buck was coming back. I guess he heard the stand chaffing the tree bark, and maybe my rattling horns lightly ticking together as they were around my neck. He moved into an opening about 50-60 yds away. I pulled the gun up this time, pulled the hammer back and.........CLICK!!! No cap. The deer bounded twice, but stopped again, still in range. I fished a cap out, put it on the nipple and this time made some noise at least...........SNAP!! I didn't load the gun yet, I shot it in the AM after a rainy hunt. I wish the story had a happy ending (for me anyway), but that was the last I saw of that deer.

I did get a nice deer later in the season though.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The dumbest thing I've done was just the other day at the range.

I had just loaded a charge and a bullet when another shooter called for a cease fire to go downrange and check his target. For safety, I've always had a policy that when the range is cold I unload (or in the case of a ML decap) and then it's hands off the guns while people are down range. Well, everybody goes down range, and one person is headed for the 200 yard line to check his target, so I thought "what the heck, I'll go down a change one of my targets while I have the chance". So downrange I go. Well, being my father's son I can't pass up the opportunity to strike up a conversation with somebody, and sure enough I did. By the time I got back to the firing line I had completely forgotten that I'd already charged and seated a bullet in my gun, and proceeded to charge and seat ANOTHER load on top of the first one. I realized what I'd done as soon as the second bullet hit home and I was 3"+ from the witness mark on my ramrod. (This illustrates why witness marks are important and should be placed on EVERYONES ramrods).

So I took the bolt out intent on removing the breach plug and ramming both charges out the breach (thank God for inlines), when I realized that in my haste to put the gun back together I had forgotten to put new anti-seize grease on the plug, and the plug was locked up tight. It took 24 hours and a bunch of penetrating oil to free up that plug, and the powder charge turned into cement from the oil and made a heck of a mess.

Hopefully I'll learn from this experience and never do that again. What a major PITA.

Mike
Old 08-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Fork Horn

See how all of these start out "Well I wasn't paying attention"

This is the big lesson of this thread. Neither was I paying attention at the range when I double charged and touched it off. Well nothing broke but my shoulder was darned near tore off from the recoil. I shot it the rest of the season but I soon traded that gun thinking it may have stressed the breech.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 1995 a good freind of my families had a Knight inline, both safety's off and as he walked through the doorway of his house his feet slipped - and he used the gun for a brace. The muzzleloader went off, bullet caught him under the chin and exited the top of his head. Died almost immediately. Left a wife, 3 kids ..... a very sad day.

Quick Reply: What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.