Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting? >

What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting?

Old 08-12-2004, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting?

Yea I made the mistake once of forgetting to put powder in before loading the bullet , It was kinda funny what happened I was using my inline with 209 priming and powerbelt bullets. after i pushed the bullet down I realized there was no powder charge when the ram rod went down to far past my mark I etched into the rod. How I decided to unload that mistake was the funny part .I went ahead and fired it thinking the 209 primer would put off enough force to push it out the bullet flopped out the end of the barrel and landed about 3 feet in front of me but did not have the plastic base attached to it so i put a another primer in the nipple and fired again this time the base come flying out at mach 3 and lands just infront of my target at 50 yards it hit the dirt and bounced passed the target. Gave me an idea for Indoor ML practice. In my house Ill set up a piece of card board for a target take some sabots cut the pettles off makes a great plastic pellet then just using a 209 primer to project it. I shot it through a chronograph surprisingly hits a velocity of 307 fps.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:21 AM

Default RE: What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting?

I loaded a charge without the beech plug installed. Yukky mess.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's a tip for everyone:

If you're brushing out the barrel between shots, or even running a patch, make sure youre scope cover is on! That debris flies out the barrell, flings off the cleaning brush, and lands right on the glass!![]
Old 08-15-2004, 03:54 PM

One time I used too much solvent between shots with my CVA .54 cal and got some into the flash hole. I never cleaned the oil out very well and the powder fouled around the inside of the bbl. I could not get the powder to fire and it took three of us to pull the ball out. I was using a tight patch and one guy on the rod and one on the gun was not enough. Never want to be in that situation again![:'(]
Old 08-16-2004, 05:06 PM

During PA's first fall muzzleloader season, I had spent an uneventful morning in the woods. Since I wasn't going to hunt that afternoon, I decided to unload my flintlock like I normaly did in the winter. I'd brace myself with a hand against a tree and place the barrel in the crook of my elbow, take aim at a distant stump, and shoot. I had always done this in cold weather, wearing gloves at the time. Well this time, it was warm, and no gloves. At ignition, sparks and burning ffff powder descended on my un-gloved hand. After three years, I still have some powder burns on the back of my hand.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

got some into the flash hole
I would have just kept putting on a new cap untill it took and went boom eventually it would I had a similar problem once took 4 caps before it went boom. Now instead of solvent of rcleaning inbetween shots i use 50% rubbing alcohol. works great and takes no time to dry.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Spike

The dumbest thing I ever did was buy condums to cover the bore in wet weather and not tell my wife before she found them. She punched me In the eye.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:26 PM
Spike

i did this yesterday!!! i just buoght a new leupold vx 1 scope for my remington 700 mls. first time at the range i let go of the barrell before loading it and the rifle slid along the bench and down to the ground right on my new scope. i have sent the scope to leupold in hopes they will help me whith my two day old scope the front bell and tube BENT!!
Old 08-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: aimatdeer

i did this yesterday!!! i just buoght a new leupold vx 1 scope for my remington 700 mls. first time at the range i let go of the barrell before loading it and the rifle slid along the bench and down to the ground right on my new scope. i have sent the scope to leupold in hopes they will help me whith my two day old scope the front bell and tube BENT!!
ouch..... I have no storys yet and hopefully I never will, I was surprised that no one has shot a ramrod down range Ive herd many storys of it but never seen it done
Old 08-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Standing behind my kid at the range while he was shooting my .54cal Thompson.

I figured the kick might be a little more than he could handle, and the ML is heavy, so I was also trying to help him aim.

Picture this: Child standing holding ML aimed down range at target. Dad directly behind child, left hand trying to help support ML. Childs back tight against dad’s tummy.

Got the picture?

The result, I got wounded. When the ML fired, a piece of the percussion cap came off, up over the child’s head, and struck me in the nose. Lucky it wasn’t in the eye(wasn’t wearing safety glasses).

1. We (child and me) always wear glasses now, range, hunting, always.
2. Child stands on his own two feet now, don’t want another nose job.

Quick Reply: What is the dumbest thing you have done with your ML on the Range or Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.