Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need some help

Old 08-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Spike

Default Need some help

Last season I forgot to clean the cva muzzle loader. Yesterday I was trying to remove the breech plug and could not get it out. Any tips as to how I can remove it. Or should I throw the cva out and buy a new one. [&o]
Old 08-02-2004, 07:29 AM

Default RE: Need some help

Which model is it? How bad is the bore? If the bore is no good I'd get a new one before bothering with the breechplug. Make sure it's unloaded then swab it out and drop a bore light down the barrel if you have one. If not you may be able to see down with a small flashlight. Although if you get rust colored patches, chances are it's ruined. At the very least your likely going to suffer a loss of accuracy. You may also want to contact CVA as they may be able to provide a new barrel at a little cost.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the safest thing would be for you to buy a new gun and LEARN YOUR LESSON. Not cleaning a muzzleloader after use can put much more than the rifle at risk.

Email [email protected] and ask for any help they might provide but you might be better off just scavenging what parts are still good from the rifle and calling it a costly lesson.

Sorry if my reply seems harsh but, if it is, it is only to further emphasize the importance of cleaning.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:25 AM

One thing you can do is remove the barrel from the stock. Place the barrel in a vice grip, use something to protect the barrel, and lubricate the breech plug with something like WD 40. Than try and remove the plug. If you can not do this and you have no other choice, and you are going to throw it away, I'll take it off your hands.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

We are taking for granted that this is an inline muzzleloader, correct? If it were a sidelock then leave the breech plug alone. If the rifle had been fired you might be in bad shape barrel wise.

I would send the rifle back to CVA or at least contact them and see what they suggest. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Spike

The rifle is an inline 150 magbolt in nickle. I contacted cva and they told me to cover the breechplug hole with something and fill the barrel with PB blaster rust remover. Than try to remove it after 48 hours. If I can't remove it after that. They said to send it to them. They will drill it out for $10 and add a new breechplug for and additional $10 plus shipping. The riffling look ok with little to no rust. Maybe because it's nickle. I will let you know what happens after the PB. Thanks