Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 getting back into the sport. >

getting back into the sport.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

getting back into the sport.

Old 08-11-2004, 07:22 AM

Default getting back into the sport.

Hello all, a few years ago, I owned a Knight Disc Magnum, and a .54 calibre CVA hawkin. I sold those in hopes of purchasing an Encore rifle, but that gun was not made available to me for purchase untill a while later. Now, I want to get back into the sport, but have far less money than I did a few years ago, thanks to many other engagments. I will be trading off my last center fire rifle on somthing like an American knight or similar rifle. I do still own one centerfire, but it's in pieces and going to be my first attempt at a "custom". I have no problem limiting myself to the exlusive use of a blackpowder rifle. in fact, when I was shooting my Knight, I had the most fun shooting than I ever had before or since. It was more "Invloved" than any other form of shooting I had participated in. I like the challenge it represents, and do not really feel that much more limited than with a high power. With my .308, on a calm, perfect day, I might shoot at an animal out to 300 yards. Max. But with my Disc, I had total confidence in shooting out to 200. Does anyone else feel this way, and have gone to their blackpowder guns exclusivly? I don't have a muzzleloader season around here, it's just to put the fun back into it. I like doing things the hard way I guess. I hunt with a recurve bow also, and keep my shots under 20 yards. What are everyones thoughts on this topic? I would like to hear if anyone else uses a smokepole exclusivly. And why you chose to go that route. Have you ever regretted it? I can always buy another centerfire down the road I guess, but I miss the big puffy clouds, and sarcasim from others at the range. Have a great day.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:44 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: getting back into the sport.

I have found some great 2000fps loads for my disc elite. I would take a 150 shot if everything was perfect. Won't go past that. I like real good blood trails, and at 200 you might not get a good pass thru.

Old 08-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome back, check out the Cheep ML post.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I went to black powder many many years ago for about the same reasons. Centerfires are great rifles. I own lots of them. Actually been thinking of selling them. I have not used them in over 15 years some of them longer....

I took more pride in my first muzzleloader deer, a little 4 point buck, with my .54 caliber Renegade in a snow storm then any of the other big bucks I shot with centerfires.

I have a Black Diamond XR made by Thompson Center that I am sure could shoot 200 yards, but I never would. I like to target shoot with it because of the accuracy, but it is not my first choice at hunting time. I was looking at another flintlock rifle to purchase just last night thinking how I would really like it, then started counting the black powder guns on the wall rack and decided I really did not need another one.

This black powder shooting is a sickness of sorts. It takes a special kind of person to risk their hunt on a one shot rifle that might not even go off. Face it there were seasons where I might have only had one chance yet I never looked back hunting with the smokepoles.

I guess it is not about making meat and filling the freezer, although that is a nice benifit. I find the sport of black powder hunting and shooting rewarding in so many other ways. I will never go back to modern rifles. Maybe I do need that other flinter.....