Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Muzzleloader

Old 07-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Spike

Default New Muzzleloader

I have been looking to buy a new muzzleloader. Something under $700. I would end up putting a scope on it. I am going to use it for deer hunting. I have been looking at Knights TC Omega and some of the Traditions. Not sure what if I should get a .45 or a .50. Just wondering what your favorite would be. Any help would be great.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:09 PM

Default RE: New Muzzleloader

If I were you, I would go with a T/C Omega .50 cal. in stainless in your choice of stock, black synthetic, Realtree synthetic, laminated, or thumbhole laminated. You won't go wrong with this gun and most agree that .50 caliber is the way to go also. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

There are a lot of fine rifles available these days to choose from. Knight makes a great product, although sligthly overpriced IMHO. I shoot a baseline Knight USAK and it has been a wonderful rifle so far, accurate & sturdy. Both the T/C Omega and the CVA Optima are nice pieces, with great options too.

Whichever gun you choose, I would DEFINITELY go with a .50cal. They are more forgiving in load workups and there are TONs more bullet options for them. The .45s can do nothing that .50cal can't do - within the normal scope of muzzleloading. If you're looking for the Super velocity advertised for the .45cal magnum rifles for that 200yd shot...............don't becasue odds are you won't make the shot.................as those light bullets with 150gr of powder are not accurate enough to be dependable at those long ranges. IMHO.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep... 50-cal is the way to go! You get more horsepower -- you can still use the 40-cal and 357-cal sabot/bullets that the typical 45 uses in it -- you get a much larger selection of accessories to choose from plus it's generally less fussier finding a good load for a 50 than a 45.

There are three brands I would consider with $700. If you don't want any aftermarket barrels, then you won't need the T/C Encore. The others I would consider in the 400-550 price range are:

T/C Omega laminated/Stainless
Knight Revolution
Knight Disc Elite/Extreme
Austin/Halleck 420

There are a few others for less money that are just a step below in craftsmanship like the T/C Black Diamond XR, Knight Wolverine II 26", Austin/Halleck 320. The Remington ML has a couple of issues regarding blowback & bolt assembly/disassembly, White Rifles are in bankruptcy (what does that tell you?) & the Winchester Apex has issues with powder & bullet size restrictions. Rated below those three are the CVA Optima Pro & Kodiak PR 470 plus the Traditions Pursuit Pro and the Evolution Premier laminated.

Just my opinion... how I rate them doesn't mean anything to anyone but myself. I only used the major manufacturers & I could live happily with any of the inlines above except the White... which a majority of the time needs accurizations to perform at a high level & White Inc. may incur a parts shortage in the future... nobody knows for sure yet but likely so due to the manufacture of new Whites recently built upon piece work/uncovered piles of parts.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:45 AM

dh,

Check out Cabela's website, since they have some nice rifles. The Knight rifles are supposed to be the best, but you can get excellent rifles from TC, Winchester, Traditions, and CVA. The Knight Disc Extreme, and Revolution look real sweet, and the Thompson Center Thumbhole Omega looks really nice as well. Now, the scope, can be Bushnell. If I had that money, I would get the Leupold Rifleman, about $200, first, than the Knight Revolution, 50 cal Stainless/Hardwoods Green, $489, that is, if I had $700 to burn. What I did leave out were the extras that you need, powder, bullets, powder measure, flints, etc., that can add up.

I have a CVA Firebolt, and a Traditions Deerhunter, both are good rifles, and kill deer nicely.

Good luck....

Tom
Old 07-23-2004, 07:07 AM

ORIGINAL: dhhunting

I have been looking to buy a new muzzleloader. Something under $700. I would end up putting a scope on it. I am going to use it for deer hunting. I have been looking at Knights TC Omega and some of the Traditions. Not sure what if I should get a .45 or a .50. Just wondering what your favorite would be. Any help would be great.
For $700 you can probably get everything you need. For the muzzleloader I would say Omega preferably in laminate (assuming you are allowed a closed ignition). 50 cal is better. There's just more options and the .45's generally have accuracy problems. Then it's just a matter of picking your scope. What are your regs regarding scopes? If you can have scopes with magnification, I would pick an Elite 3200 or a Millett Buckgold. pick a 2-7X or a 3-9X. Buy the excelent warne rings and bases for it as well (T/C selles em).