HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Excessive fouling making loading difficult - suggestions? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/65696-excessive-fouling-making-loading-difficult-suggestions.html)

vadeer 07-10-2004 06:57 AM

Excessive fouling making loading difficult - suggestions?

I have a new CVA Optima Pro that I am using 777 50/50 pellets w/ Powerbelt bullets. Videos/ other information sources states I should be able to shoot 5-6 times before "cleaning/running a patch." During some sighting-in activity yesterday, after the second shot, the barrel fouling down by the breech plug is so thick that I can not load the firearm. Any ideas on how I can reduce the fouling? I purchased the gun with the notion that I could get up to 5 shots without having to and run patches.

Thanks

Wolfhound76 07-10-2004 07:21 AM

RE: Excessive fouling making loading difficult - suggestions?

Your getting a crud ring. For some reason some guns get em badly with 777 and some do not. You'll have to either switch to Pyrodex (no crud ring with it) or swab between shots.

Turkeyhunter1 07-10-2004 07:28 AM

vadeer, did you clean the barrel before you shot it for the first time? It is really important to get the factory lube out of the barrel b4 you begin shooting. When you clean the barrel use a bore brush b4 you use any liquid cleaner. This will remove build up in the lands and grooves! Then i would use hot water with a little DAWN dish soap to clean the barrel. After you have the barrel clean, oil it lightly. When out at the range shooting, use your wire brush between shots. This will give you more accurate shot placement.... I own a CVA, and that works for me! Good Luck!!

PS: I would recommend that you shoot loose Triple 7, than pellets. You get a cleaner burn from loose powder than pellets. One more thing, start around 80 grains of loose powder, then adjust your loads. I shoot 295 powerbelts, with 80 grains of 777 fffg. Killed every deer I shot!! Again Good Luck!

Triple Se7en 07-10-2004 09:21 AM

I don't think that video states you can shoot 5 times consecutively using 777 pellets. How many pellets were you loading... 2 or 3? Usually, two shots with two 777 pellets before swabbing -- one shot with three pellets 777 before swabbing. Make sure the bore is absolutely dry before shooting -- then use plain water, Windex or alcohol to swab. No gun oils, solvents or Bore Butter to assist you. If loading sabot/bullets is too difficult on the first try with a clean, dry bore, buy another sabot/bullet or keep the bullet & replace the plastic sabot with one that loads easier.

I would return the Optima to the store & tell the store manager CVA lied to you about cleaning every five shots. Get a refund or exchange it for a Knight or T/C rifle. Their manuals and/or videos don't lie!

cayugad 07-10-2004 09:34 AM

A lot of it will depend on how you treat your rifle. Start with a clean dry oil free bore. Then a small amount of powder is what I use to fowl the CVA Staghorn I shoot. A quick alcohol swab through the barrel and then load as normal.

If your having troubles getting the powerbelt to seat, then I suggest you check you powder charge amounts. You might also want to go to a musket cap instead of the 209 ignition.

If swabbing is a concern while hunting, I always carry a small plastic bottle with 20 or so alcohol saturated patches and a clean jag in there, in my fanny pack for my rifles. I do this more for the even that I should fall and plug the barrel and need to field clean the rifle. I can also swab that way if the loading should ever become hard. So far I have never had to use the little bottle of swabs... but I know they are there....:D

Hidden Hunter 07-11-2004 09:01 AM

All Great Information above, not much to add, except if you want to Shoot, and Shoot without running a Spit Patch Down the Tube, look into a White ML.

www.whiterifles.com

Triple Se7en 07-11-2004 09:24 AM

White Rifles is in bankruptcy court.... hasn't had a production line going in over a year. Just selling old, pieced (sold as new) rifles these days.

Hidden Hunter 07-11-2004 09:48 PM

Triple7, That does not Subtract from the Fact, that they make a Great ML. Weather one can get a Limited Edition, or a Vintage Servicable Rifle.All at one Time or Another, most Companys have to Steer their Ships, through Rough Waters. I would not count White out, in any Sense. Like the Phoenix, they may Arrise from the Ashes, once again. Have a Good One!

bigcountry 07-12-2004 08:12 AM

I have a few ML's and only one can I shoot more than 3 shots without swabbing. The inlines I have to swab every 2 shots or even one with barnes sabots.

Triple Se7en 07-12-2004 08:18 AM

Triple7, That does not Subtract from the Fact, that they make a Great ML.
==============================================

Only "great" if they're accurized.. in my opinion. I'm really tired of hearing that 'accurized' word at HA.com & the White rifle forums. That word is generally regarded as "absent" when discussing Knight, T/C and Austin/Halleck rifles. That's because there's no need for it.

By-the-way... that last part of your sentence being quoted above should be in the past tense.... "that they made a great ML".... yeah they did.. when Doc White owned it early-on