Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anti sieze grease question >

Anti sieze grease question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anti sieze grease question

Old 05-31-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Anti sieze grease question

Ok i was gonna order my gun but it fell into my lap when i went to the local rural king. I purchased a CVA buckhorn 209 which is .50 caliber for $89 which is what Natchez had it for. Thought that was great because I didn't have to pay shipping. I puchased everything else that I thought I needed to get started including Powerbelt aero tip 295 (only bullets they stocked), pyrodex pellets for ease until i'm more experienced with muzzle loaders, patches, primers, and speedloaders for a grand total of $125 what a steal in my mind. I watched the video my M/L came with and I realized I forgot something, the breach plug grease. Now i've seen the breach plug tape and wondered if it was the same thing as teflon tape? Looks the same only pink. And the grease is that the same as white lithium grease? Just wondering because I have plenty of teflon and white lithium. I really dont wanna drive 45 min back to the store but let me know if they will work thanks.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anti sieze grease question

Jeremy, yes pink plumper teflon tape will work just fine. Any anti seize automotive products designed for heat will also work. I wouldn't use white lith grease as it may not provide much in way of heat protection...which could mean a stuck breech plug or nipple.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard of CVA Staghorns... but not Buckhorns.

You need to go back to the store anyways. You did not mention buying cleaning solvent, rust preventing gun oil & bore brush. Cleaning jags don't clean the rifling very well -- that's why a bore brush is necessary. While there, buy a tube of CVA breechplug grease.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:31 PM
Dominant Buck

The anti seize paste will work in an emergency until you can get back to the store sometime and get some CVA Breech Plug and Nipple Grease. I have used the NAPA anti seize paste and keep some for emergency reasons, but it is a mess, that's the one big fault of it. Be sure and coat all the threads of the breach plug well before you put it in the gun. Also do not over tighten the breech plug into the gun. I personally was told by a CVA tech not to use the tape on the breech plug. Many people do use it and like it. That would be your decision.

What I do after coating the threads is screw it into the rifle and when it feels snug (no need to tighten it in, it will do that on its own), then turn it back off about 1/4 of a turn. I am guessing that the Buckhorn 209 igniton is one solid breech plug if it is the same as my Staghorn.

After five times you shoot the rifle, take a small screw driver, put it in the slot that the breech plug wrench goes into when you remove it, and turn that plug back and fourth a few times and make sure it is not locking up. There is no need to remove it until it becomes so crud ridden that it no longer moves.

Go to the hardware store and get a quart of denatured alcohol. That can be used to dry the moisture out of the barrel when you shoot and for swabbing between shots. It can also be used to wipe the crud out of the breech area when you shoot. If you need some cheap patches, go to your old white cotton sock drawer and take the bad ones. Cut them into 3/4 inch strips and then cut them strips into thirds. They make excellent cleaning patches. Don't throw them away after you use them. Keep them and throw them into a buck of soapy water and you can wash them and then dry them for reuse.

Congratulation on your new rifle and good luck. I was shooting again today myself. I will be watching for updates on how good the rifle is working for you.....
Old 05-31-2004, 09:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Buckhorn is the new model that came out that replaced the Staghorn which is no longer in production. It looks just like the Staghorn.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

you definatly need some cleaning supplys thats the only thing i hate about muzzle loading is the fact that you have to clean it everytime you use it and its messy but i got a tube of breach plug grease i think mines made by traditions though but i diddent use the grese for a year or 2 in mine then i wised up and bought some after i ruined 2 breech plugs and be sure to put some grease on the nipple threads to thats where i had my problems i snapped off 1 nipple in the breach plug because it was seized up and the 2nd one some how cross threaded or omething when i unscrewed ir and ruined the threads so now i make sure i grease it every time
Old 06-01-2004, 01:02 AM

HUMMM i have always just used white lith grease and never had a problem. but i don't crank the plug in and it never stays dirty to long.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

As stated above, you need quite a bit more cleaning stuff. As for breech plugs and such I use Gorilla Grease.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:47 AM

Ok I guess I forgot to mention but I already own the bore solvent and rust preventitive lubricant. I purchased those for my .22 and 12 guage. Also the store did not cary a bore brush that said it was for a muzzle loader. I guess I could go to the gunshop in town it's quite over priced but if I just need the bore brush I guess they cant raise the price much on that. As for the Staghorn and Buckhorn models, the Buckhorn is the replacement model for the staghorn. The only difference i've noticed is that on the fiber optic sites the front blade site is a small tube not a large orange flat piece like on the staghorn.