Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

conical bullets

Old 03-28-2004, 02:30 AM

Default conical bullets

i am currently in Korea, 14 months nto a 18 month tour, and right before I left the states, my Parents bought me a Cabela's Hawken in 50 cal. I am headed to Colorado in July, and would luv to try hunting deer with my hawken. I would prefer to keep it semi-traditional, but still be effective, so I have been wanting to use conical bulets instead of ball. I have read that my rifle doesn't have the twist to shoot sabots, but what about conicals? And if so, what conicals do you guys recommend
Old 03-28-2004, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: conical bullets

wahunterinrok,you never told us the twist of your rifle.Here are some guide lines: 1 in 66 will shoot patched round balls well, 1 in 48 will still shoot patched round balls fairly well and also shoot conicals very well,it may also shoot some saboted rounds ok, 1 in 32 and 1 in 28 are saboted bullet shooters,they may also shoot some conicals well.Every muzzleloader has it's own personality and likes, but these are some good guide lines to get you started
Old 03-28-2004, 07:43 AM

wahunterinrok Try the REAL in 320 grain for yor 50 cal. hawkens ,I would think your barrel twist would be a 1in 48 twist.
There is a guy in fla. that I myself purchase my REAL from his name is Black Jack Hill ,50 rounds run $10.00 that includes shipping ,don't forget to lube them @ pick up some wonder wads in 50 cal.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe your twist is 1-48". It will likely shoot lighter sabot/bullets real well...... ie.. 180-250 grains. Try the Hornady XTP 240s or the T/C Shockwave 200s or 250s with 80-100 grains Pyro or Black (Pistol/FFF)... 70-90 Triple Se7en FFF(777).
Old 03-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

i tried the hornady 240-s in my TC new englander with the 1-48 twist and couldnt get anything on paper half the time. my gun loves the 370 grain maxi balls and just about any brand of round ball.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

First off, for deer a round ball is plenty. Many people over look them but they are effective. As for conicals, I would suggest trying a T/C 370 grain Maxi Ball, T/C 350 grain maxi hunter, Buffalo Bullets also shot well in the 1:48 twist as do the REAL conical in 320 range.

As Triple Se7en said, there are sabots that will shoot well out of the rifle. All you can do is get some different ones and try and work loads up for it. I personally have not had a lot of luck with sabots out of my .50's but I never really pushed the issue with them. I always shot the round ball or the REALs.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:49 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Your Hawken will be fine with either balls or conicals if it likes them. Colorado doesn't allow sabots so they're out. See if you can find someone with a few of each to try, no sense in buying something it won't shoot.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

As stated, you can not use sabots in Colorado.

The Maxiballs, maxihunters are good choices, as would be powerbelt bullets.

You might try 245 or 295 powerbelts. They are easier to load, you don't have to mess with lubed bullets and they should fly straight if you have the time to work up a load.

I would also recommend using triple 7 powder.

Where are you going to hunt?
Old 04-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have a tc 50cal hawken....i shot powerbelts this year....295gr copperplated hps......im not using them next year....they shot ok....and i didnt play with loads or anything.....but they were to hard to load....the first one slide right down....could start it with my thumb....second one was next to impossible...not good for hunting.....but my bore my be tighter then yours....this year im going to try some maxiballs and and maybe a few others if i cant get them to group......i shot roundballs perfectly.....but i just dont like the light weight and the thought that they might not leave a good trail and do alot of damage opposed to a 375gr maxi.......i think that will rip a deer a new one......and thats what im looking for.....if it blows the deer in half.....great its down and dead.......i dont care about meat damge and such.....i look for knockdown power and devistation...and a good blood trail...........ive heard good things about the maxis.......so ill try them first.......even with my centerfires i look for a good hollowpoint or ballistic tip that really lays them out and expands like nothing else......good luck......

Quick Reply: conical bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.