Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Inline or Traditional >

Inline or Traditional

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Inline or Traditional

Old 04-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Inline or Traditional

No matter what you get, muzzleloading is awesome! Can I get an Amen, brothers?

Anyway, whatever you get, buy quality and take care of it. Enjoy!
Old 04-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

in my eyes if you want to buy an inline just buy a ruger no1.....still a single shot rifle.......basically all an inline is.....cept you have to be a little better on cleaning........

Mauser06 you're getting your Ruger's mixed up. The #1 is not a (inline)muzzleloader. You're apparently getting it mixed up with the
Ruger M-77/50.That's the only BP Rifle Ruger makes at this time. Ruger also makes the "Old Army" Cap and Ball revolver
Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-22-2004, 07:15 PM

i own both. i like both of them.

my inline is a tradition 50 cal. flutted nickel plated barrel i'm accurte out about 150 yards out.

my traditional is a 50 cal flint lock wich also a traditional i love that one for target shooting it's a blast trying to hit a gong with at over 75 yards.
I shoot it in a full buckskin suit just like my ancestors did when they were hunting for food to live.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mauser06 you're getting your Ruger's mixed up. The #1 is not a (inline)muzzleloader.
Ruger I think his point was an inline isn't the same as traditonal and more along the lines of Ruger No1, except a bit more cleaning is required. His point was pretty clear and narrow minded to me. As per usual we have those who like to think b/c they do it a certain way they are somehow better or more traditonal (if you will) than those who might chose to use something else newer. Same debate as recurve vs compound. Fact remains if you have to pour the powder in, seat a large projectile, cap and shoot - then start all over it is a MLer to me and a choice only you can make. Having done both I see benefits and draw backs to each side of the coin, but b/c I can hunt with a scoped inline and chose to do so makes me no less of a bp shooter or hunter than those who do not. Advancements have happened to both sides and as a result we have better/more choice today then days of yester!

It don't matter much as we all agree it is darn fun blowing smoke
Old 04-28-2004, 12:40 AM
Spike

I usually avoid these discussions, but I have a little free time. The intent of the original BP seasons was to allow hunters who hunted the "hard way" (traditional-primitive) to go a field when there weren't so many center fire shooters out and about. It wasn't written in stone, but the patched RB shooters and conical shooters were limited to much shorter ranges than the center fire shooters. Accuracy restrictions and sighting restrictions made it so. The point comparing the scoped inline to a Ruger #1 is well taken and one I agree with. The BP seasons have become equipment races also. 200-yard shots, while not common, are possible. Worry about the weather? No, not with an inline: Your shotgun primer is safe inside its plastic shell and bolt shroud. Sighting restrictions? Not when you can bolt a scope on your muzzleloader. Three sighting planes are replaced with one, plus resolution and light gathering are increased significantly over the old human eye. And therein lies the conflict. The scoped inlines are very definitely muzzleloaders, no doubt about it. But are they traditional-primitive? I don't think so, and I applaud the game departments like PA that restrict the equipment that can be used in the muzzleloader season. Perhaps we should add ANOTHER season and at least redefine the argument. We could have the regular season, the BPC season, the Muzzle Loader (BP & Smokeless) season and the traditional-primitive season. Then we can argue over who should get to take the field first etc etc etc.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Magdood, one can make the same arguement for archery equipment or even rifles/bullets of today. They have all advanced well past what we thought was possible years ago, yet the premise remains the same. I will not argue that an inline is not primitive, but neither is a bow shooting 350 fps with a broadhead and arrow that will slice n' dice straight through a bull moose...where does it start and end!!!! Do you not take advantage of any advancements fo today? If so how to justify it? Of course no need to respond just illustrating evolution in hunting and the equipment we now have available. If it is legal where you hunt you have a choice on what equipment you want to use and IMHO that is where the arguement should end!

It is simply a choice and if I choose to use a scoped inline ML b/c I legally can do so and others feel it makes me less of a traditionalist or BP shooter than so be it! Frankly that is your opinion and I really couldn't give to hoots what others think of MY LEGAL CHOICE It goes visa V to your choices, it really don't matter as long as were all happy and out chasing game.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Spike

out
Old 05-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Typical Buck

I choose to use a scoped inline ML
Me too...
Old 05-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Glad to see how many go both ways and enjoy it. That is the name of the game. BruceH I am on my way in 1 hour to purchase a Kentucky actually a Pennsylvania long gun the Kentucky I have heard was origionally made in Pennsylvania by German Smithies.

Oh yea an Orange dyed Coonskin cap might be nice.

I got the joke after a while!@!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 09:23 PM
AK

I got into muzzleloading because I had an appreciation of the history and wanted to learn the skills neccessary to become proficient as those before us. Also wanted a challenging way to hunt. Therefore I chose a Pennsylvania longrifle with flintlock ignition and only shoot patched round balls.

Not meant to be disparaging, but I really don't understand the popularity of the in-lines. Having scopes, primers, and hot-loaded rounds; long range capabilities; lacking all the the challenges of flint ignition and firing; and certainly having no aesthetic or historical significance; they are so akin to centerfire rifles (and on par exactly with performance slug guns) that I honestly wonder why people bother with them at all?