Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

brass black

Old 03-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default brass black

ok...my brass black finally came....and i have the day to work on the brass from my tc hawken....i follow the directions using steel wool then degresser/cleaner....put it on let it dry for a min or 2 then rinse it......then it seems to rub off of most of the parts or streak badly......any tips on using it?? its frustrating me badly.....i dont know what im doing wrong......i didnt think it would be this tough......i also tried dipping the smaller parts like sling screws and the ramrod holder ect....it just doesnt want to stay on.....any help?? thanx
Old 03-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Spike

Default RE: brass black

Hay 06,just a thought,have you tryed putting oil on your parts after you applyed the blackin&.Idont know if its the same as blueing, but you can try it and see.Let me know if it works.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

no i havent oiled it yet......i actually got it to work.....i wasnt working it in long enough or hard enough.....now i press harder and longer and when i see the metals black all over i walk to the sink and the part off.....and i only to tiny areas at a time.......i got the gun reassembled and it looks great.......dad loves it....he told me he didnt like the brass any more then i did.....i mean polished up and on the wall it looks great....but in the woods the brass was too much for me....even dulled......now its black and it blends nicely but you still notice it......i think it looks good....but its my gun and the look i was going for was achieved.....i really dont care what others think lol....i think im crazy for spening about 8 hours on the brass.......i did each part probally 3 times to get them how i wanted them......some more some i only had to do once....but there were always a minor imperfection here or there i had to redo......theres still a few but they are on tiny parts i really cant do better.......all in all im happy....cant wait to see the guys drowl at the range asking me why theres isnt that perdy.....i redid the wood earlyier in the year too.....it looks like a diffrent gun.....its almost a custom.....when i put the lyman frizzen on everything but the barrel will be changed.....im browning that sometime in the future.....a few years i guess.....
Old 04-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mauser, I did the same to my T/C Hawken. Also, the stock had such a pretty grain in it so I stripped it down. Took that real glossy finish off and brushed a few coats of clear satin finish polyurethane on it, steel wooling between coats. It really came out sharp looking. The natural color walnut stock and the almost pewter colored metal.